- Engineering Building III (EB3) 3417
- Visit My Website
Dr. Liu is interested in micro/nano-scale thermal transport and hybrid organic/inorganic functional materials for energy storage, conversion, and management.
Dr. Liu’s graduate students are motivated to learn; they are familiar with both simulation and experiment work, and tend to solve multidisciplinary, challenging problems. His students have the opportunity to learn multidisciplinary topics in optics, electronics, thermal science, materials, and solid state physics.
Dr. Liu teaches Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics at the undergraduate level.
Outside of work, Dr. Liu enjoys travelling and reading.
University of Colorado, Boulder
Huazhong University of Science and Technology
Dr. Liu leads an energy conversion, storage, and management research group focusing on developing computational and experimental tools for understanding nanoscale thermal transport, probing new transport phenomena in micro/nano-scale structures, and applying the results to design thermal management and energy conversion/storage systems with nano-engineered functional materials. He is currently working on (1) developing ultrafast laser-based pump-probe system for characterizing thermal and elastic properties of materials (e.g. TDTR, TRMOKE, Raman); (2) developing numerical simulation tools for understanding energy transport mechanisms in soft matters and hybrid materials (e.g. moledular dynamics, density functional theory, lattice dynamics); (3) establishing novel functional thermal materials, especially soft materials and hybrid materials. Those materials serve as elementary building blocks for thermal management and energy conversion/storage devices and systems with enhanced performance.
Honors and Awards
- NSF CAREER Award, 2020
- Outstanding Dissertation Award, 2013
- Efficiency improvement of liquid piston compressor using metal wire mesh for near-isothermal compressed air energy storage application
- , (2020). Journal of Energy Storage. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.est.2020.101226
- Strong electron-phonon coupling induced anomalous phonon transport in ultrahigh temperature ceramics ZrB2 and TiB2
- , (2020). International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2020.119481
- Synergistic Effects of Boron Nitride (BN) Nanosheets and Silver (Ag) Nanoparticles on Thermal Conductivity and Electrical Properties of Epoxy Nanocomposites
- Wu, Y., Zhang, X., Negi, A., He, J., Hu, G., Tian, S., & Liu, J. (2020), Polymers, 12(2), 426. https://doi.org/10.3390/polym12020426
- Thermal resistance network model for heat conduction of amorphous polymers
- Zhou, J., He, J., Xu, X., Nakayama, T., Wang, Y., & Liu, J. (2020), Physical Review Materials, 4(1). https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevmaterials.4.015601
- Enhanced thermoelectric properties through minority carriers blocking in nanocomposites
- , (2019). Journal of Applied Physics. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5118981
- On the importance of using exact full phonon dispersions for predicting interfacial thermal conductance of layered materials using diffuse mismatch model
- , (2019). AIP Advances. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5121727
- Role of angular bending freedom in regulating thermal transport in polymers
- Subramanyan, H., Zhang, W., He, J., Kim, K., Li, X., & Liu, J. (2019), JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS, 125(9). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5086176
- Role of radiation in heat transfer from nanoparticles to gas media in photothermal measurements
- Li, Y., Zhou, J., Li, B., & Liu, J. (2019), INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MODERN PHYSICS C, 30(4). https://doi.org/10.1142/S0129183119500244
- Roles of kink on the thermal transport in single polyethylene chains
- Duan, X., Li, Z., Liu, J., Chen, G., & Li, X. (2019), Journal of Applied Physics, 125(16), 164303. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5086453
- Sono-Assisted Surface Energy Driven Assembly of 2D Materials on Flexible Polymer Substrates: A Green Assembly Method Using Water
- Zhou, D., Hao, J., Clark, A., Kim, K., Zhu, L., Liu, J., … Li, B. (2019), ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES, 11(36), 33458–33464. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.9b10469
- Domain-Engineering Enabled Thermal Switching in Ferroelectric Materials
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(7/01/20 - 6/30/24)
- Travel Support for Student Participation at the 2019 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (ASME-IMECE) Society-wide Micro and Nano Technology Forum
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(11/01/19 - 4/30/20)
- CAREER: Pushing the Lower Limit of Thermal Conductivity in Layered Materials
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(3/01/20 - 2/28/25)
- Fundamental Studies on the Thermal Spin-Transfer-Torque: Towards the Next Generation Nonvolatile Memory for Space Exploration
- NCSU NC Space Grant Consortium(7/01/18 - 5/31/19)