A Best-Value Proposition
At NC State, you’ll be part of a university that is nationally and internationally ranked for its academic programs and research opportunities.
- Our Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering is the largest in North Carolina and one of the largest in the nation.
- MAE education is hands-on. We have new facilities and labs on Centennial Campus, and extensive industry partnerships.
- Our faculty are all active in research. 100% of them are in the classroom to bring their discoveries to you first.
- Nearly 1700 students are enrolled in our challenging and highly ranked undergraduate and graduate programs.
NC State is consistently ranked one of the top values in higher education. Value is where quality and affordability meet.
Undergraduate Programs (Bachelor of Science degrees)
We are proud of our high-quality undergraduate programs. We invite the best and the brightest to apply, and we mentor each student individually through graduation. Our students have many opportunities for professional growth, including undergraduate research, co-op work experience, study abroad, and membership in professional societies.
Application for admission to NC State is handled at the university level. Once admitted and enrolled, students apply to join the MAE department by meeting the College of Engineering’s Change of Degree Application (CODA) requirements- see the CODA Statistics here.
What is the process?
When do I apply?
Graduate Programs (Master’s and Ph.D. degrees)
Our graduate programs offer research degrees with graduate assistantships at the master’s and Ph.D. levels, with the opportunity to specialize in a wide range of topics in mechanical and aerospace engineering. We also offer a non-thesis master’s degree and are a leader in distance education. Students can earn a Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering or a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering degree without ever setting foot on campus.
Application to NC State is handled at the university level by The Graduate School. In addition, please follow the department’s MAE Graduate Admission procedures to be considered for admission into one of its master’s or Ph.D. programs.
What is the process?
When do I apply?
Find a field of study
What else adds value to my education?
- Cooperative Education (Co-op) and Internships: work in the profession while getting your degree.
- Engineering Career Fair: find your future employer.
- Order of the Engineer: join the professional engineering community.
- Professional Engineer (PE) License: gain added certification
- Student Organizations: engage outside the classroom.
- Study Abroad: attain global exposure and understanding.
- Centennial Campus MAE’s home on NCSU’s research campus.
- Research Triangle Park (RTP) for university + industry collaboration.
- NCSU Libraries | Triangle Research Libraries | Hunt Library because “the only thing you absolutely have to know is the location of the library.” Albert Einstein
Can I afford it?
NC State is one of the most affordable universities in the U.S. with the numbers to back it up: #18 Best Value Public Colleges, Kiplinger’s, #25 Best Value College, Forbes, Top 100 Best National Universities, U.S. News. We know that money is a big part of your planning, and we have some resources to help.
Visit us. Learn more.
Future Graduate Students
You can find answers to application, admission, and program questions on our advising page found here. Visit us in Engineering Building III on Centennial Campus or contact the graduate office with your questions (email@example.com). If you’re interested in online programs, contact Engineering Online.
Learn more about NC State Admissions.