Mohammed A. Zikry, Zan Prevost Smith Distinguished Professor
Computational Modeling and Mechanics: hierarchical models spanning the nano to the macro scales; prediction of material and structural response based on physically based material models
Failure models for heterogeneous ductile and brittle systems: fracture mechanics; plasticity; microstructural effects due to grain-boundaries, cell walls, sub-grains and grain morphology
Dynamic behavior of structures and materials: stress waves in solids; structural dynamics; mechanical behavior of composite structures subjected to high impact velocities; grain-boundary and interfacial effects
Experimental Solid Mechanics: AFM, TEM, and SEM quantitative measurements of nano and micro failure surfaces; universal scaling laws, dynamic failure
Micromechanics: strengthening and toughening mechanisms in composites; mechanical behavior and structural integrity; mechanical response of ceramics, intermetallics, and polymers; interfacial fracture mechanics
Active materials: structural stability and design of smart structures and materials; integration of embedded devices within host systems
Recent Publications (185 refereed total publications)
- Zhao And M.A. Zikry (2017), Oxidation-Induced Failure In Semi-Crystalline Organic Thin Films, International Journal of Solids And Structures, 109 (2017) 72–83.
- Russell W. Mailen, Michael D. Dickey, Jan Genzer, and M.A. Zikry (2017), Effects of Thermo-Mechanical Behavior and Hinge Geometry on Folding Response of Shape Memory Polymer Sheets, Journal of Applied Physics, 122, 195103-109.
- D. M. Bond And M.A. Zikry (2017), Differentiating Between Intergranular and Transgranular Fracture in Polycrystalline Aggregates, Journal of Materials Sciences, 53(8), 5786-5798
- Ziaei And M.A. Zikry (2016), The Effects of Twins On The Large Strain Deformation And Fracture of Hexagonal Close Packed Crystalline Materials, Acta Materialia, 435-442.
- Judith Brown And M.A. Zikry (2016), Behavior of Crystalline-Amorphous Interfaces In Energetic Aggregates Subjected To Coupled Thermo-Mechanical And Laser Behavior, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical & Engineering Sciences, 471, No. 2184, P. 20150548-63.
- Ziaei, Q. Wu, and M.A. Zikry (2015), Orientation relationships between coherent interfaces in hcp–fcc systems subjected to high strain-rate deformation and fracture modes, Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 30, No. 15, pp. 2348-2359.
- Judith Brown, Darrell Labarbera, M.A. Zikry (2014), Laser Interaction Effects of Electromagnetic Absorption And Microstructural Defects On Hot Spot Formation in RDX-PCTFE Energetic Aggregates, Modelling And Simulation in Materials Science And Engineering,22
- Shanthraj and M.A. Zikry (2013), Microstructurally Induced Fracture Nucleation and Propagation in Martensitic Steels, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 61, pp. 1091–1105.
- M. Lee And M.A. Zikry (2012), High Strain-Rate Modeling of The Interfacial Effects of Dispersed Particles In High Strength Aluminum Alloys, International Journal of Solids And Structures, 49, No. 23-24, 3291–3300.
- Elkhodary and M. A. Zikry (2011), A Fracture Criterion for Finitely Deforming Crystalline solids -The Dynamic Fracture of Single Crystals, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 59, 2007-2022
Ismail Mohamed defended his thesis in August 2019 and is currently a Post Doctoral Research at North Carolina State University in Raleigh, NC
Shoayb Ziaei is now a Senior Engineer at Intel Corporation in Portland, OR
Dr. Mohammed Zikry has been named the recipient of the 2017 Robert Henry Thurston Lecture Society Award from the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
Matt Bond defended his thesis in June 2017 and is currently a Senior Engineer at Intel Corporation in Chandler, AZ.
Russell Mailen defended his thesis in March 2017 and is currently an Assistant Professor at Auburn University, AL.
Matt Bond was awarded the Haythornthwaite Foundation Student Travel Award, ASME Applied Mechanics Division, for the presentation “Microstructural Modeling of Grain Boundary Effects and Fracture in Crystalline Materials” given at ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Phoenix, AZ, Nov. 13-17, 2016.
Bingxiao Zhao defended her thesis in May 2016 and is currently a Senior Engineer at Intel Corporation in Chandler, AZ.
Shoayb Ziaei defended his thesis in April 2016 and is currently a Postdoctoral Researcher at North Carolina State University in Raleigh, NC.
Dr. Mohammed Zikry received the R.J. Reynolds Award for Excellence in Teaching, Research and Extension from North Carolina State University.
Judy Brown defended her thesis in May 2015 and is currently a Postdoctoral Research Appointee, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM.
Judy Brown was awarded the Haythornthwaite Foundation Student Travel Award, ASME Applied Mechanics Division, for the presentation “Modeling of Laser Interactions and Microstructural Behavior of Energetic Systems” given at ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Montreal, Canada, Nov. 14-20, 2014.
Qifeng Wu defended his thesis in December 2014 and is currently at Intel Corporation in Portland, OR.
Drew LaBarbera defended his thesis in August 2014 and is currently at Los Alamos National Laboratory in Los Alamos, NM.
Letisha McLaughlin Lam defended her thesis in 2013 and is currently a Postdoctoral Researcher for ABB in Raleigh, NC.
Prasenjit Khanikar defended his thesis in 2013 and is currently a Postdoctoral Research Scientist in Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics at Columbia University in New York City, NY.
Siqi Xu defended her thesis in 2012, and is currently a Research Engineer at Schlumberger, Houston.
Khalil Elkhodary is an Associate Professor at the American University in Cairo, Egypt.
Tarek Hatem is an Assistant Professor at the British University of Egypt.
Pratheek Shanthraj, defended his Ph.D. in October 2011, and is currently a Research Associate at the Max Planck Institute, Dusseldorf, Germany.
William Lee defended his Ph.D. in October, 2011, and is currently Lead Engineer at Stewart Haas Racing, Charlotte.
Tarek Hatem defended his Ph.D. in March, 2009, is currently Research Associate, NCSU
Jibin Shi defended his Ph.D. in February, 2009, is currently a Research Scientist, Schlumberger International
James Pearson defended his Ph.D. in February, 2009, is currently a Research Scientist, Applied Research Associates
William Lee has been awarded a National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship, see at NDSEG website