Nanomechanics and Nanoengineering Laboratory
Welcome to the Zhu group! Our research addresses basic and applied problems at the intersection of Solid Mechanics and Micro/Nano-technology, including nanomechanics, micro/nano-electromechanical systems, and nanomaterial-enabled soft electronics and soft robotics. We aim to understand mechanical and multiphysical behaviors of nanomaterials through in-situ experiments and explore their device applications based on their unique properties.
We are on the constant lookout for motivated graduate students and postdocs to join the group. Please see the available positions (updated 11/2022).
- G. Cheng, S. Yin, C. Li, T.H. Chang, G. Richter, H. Gao, and Y. Zhu, “In-situ study of dislocation interaction with twin boundary and retraction in twinned metallic nanowires“, Acta Materialia 196, 304-312 (2020).
- W. Zhou, S. Yao, H. Wang, Q. Du, Y Ma, and Y. Zhu, “Gas-Permeable, Ultrathin, Stretchable Epidermal Electronics with Porous Electrodes“, ACS Nano 14, 5798-5805 (2020).
- G. Cheng, Y. Zhang, T.-H. Chang, Q. Liu, L. Chen, W. Lu, T. Zhu and Y. Zhu, “In situ nano-thermo-mechanical experiment reveals brittle to ductile transition in silicon nanowires“, Nano Letters 19, 5327-5334 (2019).
- S. Yin, G. Cheng, T.-H. Chang, G. Richter, Y. Zhu and H. Gao, “Hydrogen embrittlement in metallic nanowires“, Nature Communications 10, 2004 (2019).
- J. Cui, F. Poblete and Y. Zhu, “Origami/Kirigami‐Guided Morphing of Composite Sheets“, Advanced Functional Materials 28, 1802768 (2018).
- Z. Cui, Y. Han, J. Dong and Y. Zhu, “Electrohydrodynamic Printing of Silver Nanowires for Flexible and Stretchable Electronics”, Nanoscale 10, 6806-6811 (2018).
- G. Cheng, S. Yin, T.-H. Chang, H. Gao and Y. Zhu, “Anomalous Tensile Detwinning in Twinned Nanowires”, Physical Review Letters 119, 256101 (2017).
- J. Cui, J. Adams^ and Y. Zhu, “Pop-up assembly of 3D structures actuated by heat shrinkable polymers”, Smart Materials and Structures 26, 125011 (2017).
- S. Yao, J. Cui, Z. Cui and Y. Zhu, “Soft Electrothermal Actuators using Silver Nanowire Heaters”, Nanoscale 9 (11), 3797-3805 (2017).
- G. Cheng, C. Miao, Q. Qin, J. Li, F. Xu, H. Haftbaradaran, E.C. Dickey, H. Gao and Y. Zhu, “Large Anelasticity and Associated Energy Dissipation in Single-Crystalline Nanowires“, Nature Nanotechnology 10, 687-691 (2015).
- Q. Qin, S. Yin, G. Cheng, X. Li, T.-H. Chang, G. Richter, Y. Zhu and H. Gao, “Recoverable Plasticity in Penta-twinned Metallic Nanowires Governed by Dislocation Nucleation and Retraction“, Nature Communications 6, 5983 (2015).
- T. Jiang, R. Huang, Y. Zhu, “Interfacial Sliding and Buckling of Monolayer Graphene on a Stretchable Substrate“, Advanced Functional Materials 24, 396-402 (2014).
- F. Xu and Y. Zhu, “Highly Conductive and Stretchable Silver Nanowire Conductors,” Advanced Materials 24 (37), 5117-5122 (2012).
- F. Xu, W. Lu and Y. Zhu, “Controlled 3D buckling of silicon nanowires for stretchable electronics,” ACS Nano 5, 672-678 (2011).
- Y. Zhu, F. Xu, Q. Qin, W.Y. Fung and W. Lu, “Mechanical Properties of Vapor-Liquid-Solid Synthesized Silicon Nanowires,” Nano Letters 9, 3934-3939 (2009).
More Publications >>