Undergraduate FAQs

You’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

How do I meet with an MAE advisor?

  • Students may stop by the MAE undergraduate office (EB3 3205) during walk-in advising hours. No appointments are necessary.

When does pre-registration advising begin and how do I get advised?

I missed the regular pre-registration advising period. How do I get advised now?

  • Follow the instructions given in the previous question

I tried to register, but My Pack says I do not have a valid enrollment date. Why is this?

  • You are trying to register before your enrollment date.
  • Check the Enrollment Wizard in My Pack for your enrollment appointment day and time.

I have a hold on my account that is preventing me from enrolling in classes. How can I get the hold removed?

  • Advising/registration hold: Follow the MAE pre-registration advising instructions
  • Non-payment/cashier’s office holds: Late payments for tuition or student health services. Payment must be made to the University Cashier’s Office before the hold can be released
  • Student conduct holds: Academic integrity or student conduct violation. Contact the Office of Student Conduct for more information

Where can I find help planning out my remaining courses to make sure I graduate on time?

Use your degree audit as your guide for planning courses.

  • Use your degree audit as your guide for planning courses.
  • If you want to deviate from the suggested sequence of courses in the degree audit, be sure you will meet prerequisites for future courses.
  • Aerospace students should be aware that the aerospace engineering curriculum is very structured. Deviating from the suggested plan of study could result in delaying graduation by at least one year.
  • Mechanical engineering course offerings are more frequent. Most 200-, 300-, and some 400-level ME courses are offered three times a year. Be sure you have planned your senior year to accommodate year-long senior design (fall-spring consecutively).
  • Take advantage of the Planner feature in My Pack to plan out all of your courses.

What are the requirements for graduating from College of Engineering?

  • Check the Graduation Policy on the College of Engineering Website.
    • This will give you information regarding the GPA and credit-hour requirements you need in order to apply for graduation, as well as the application process.

Can I be enrolled in fewer than 12 credit hours during the last semester of my undergraduate degree?

  • Students who are enrolled in the final courses required to complete their undergraduate degree during a regular semester are permitted to take fewer than 12 credit hours and still be considered full time.
  • Students who receive financial aid must check with their provider to make sure requirements are met for continuation of aid.
  • See the official university policy on course load here: http://policies.ncsu.edu/regulation/reg-02-20-05

Which courses are C-wall for MAE?

I made a C- in a C-wall class. Does this satisfy the C-wall requirement?

  • Yes, for courses that are not required for CODA.
  • Certain CODA courses will required a grade of C or better: CH 101, CH 102, MA 141, MA 241, PY 205 and PY 206

Which courses in the mechanical/aerospace engineering curriculum can be taken for credit only?

  • E 115 and physical education (HES) courses can be taken for credit only.
  • All other courses, including GEP requirements, must be graded.

How can I get an official copy of my transcript?

  • Visit or contact the Office of Registration & Records (1000 Harris Hall) to request an official copy of your transcript.

How many credit hours must I complete to reach the next academic level?

  • Freshman: 0-29 Credit hours passed
  • Sophomore: 30-59 Credit hours passed
  • Junior: 60-91 Credit hours passed
  • Senior: 92 or more

How are GPAs calculated?

  • GPA calculation here

Can I place out of a course (credit by examination)?

I need to reserve a classroom for a student organization-related event. Whom do I contact about this?

I am a co-op student who needs to submit a plan of work or a post co-op report and forms. How do I make an appointment?

  • A formal meeting with your MAE adviser is not required.
  • You may leave your co-op plan of work, post-co-op report and evaluation forms with the MAE Undergraduate Office. Your adviser will send them to the co-op office for you.
  • You may also email your forms and reports to your MAE academic adviser.

What is the difference between a co-op and an internship, and when is the best time to apply for one?

  • A co-op is a structured, university approved work program designed to allow students to alternate semesters of school and paid work in their field of study. During semesters of work, students enroll in a zero credit co-op class (COP ***) that allows them to maintain continuous enrollment. Co-op generally requires one extra year in school to complete the program, and the time spent working can be applied toward a professional engineering license. For more information about co-op, visit the co-op website. Students should apply for the co-op program after they have CODAed.
  • An internship is paid career-related experience, typically during the summer – though some students intern during the semester.*  The Career Development Center  provides the  ePACK system to help you find an internship.  Students can intern at any time.  An internship does not apply toward a professional engineering license. (*If a full-time internship is accepted during the fall or spring semester, you will need to withdraw and reapply for the next semester.  This can be avoided by taking at least one course from NCSU while interning, on-campus or via distance education (non-MAE courses only).)

Can I receive course credit for an internship or engineering-related job?

  • Course credit cannot be awarded for paid internships or jobs.

Is there a course that will help me prepare for the fundamental of engineering (FE) exam, and is the class required to take the exam?

What are the CODA requirements for MAE?

How can I transfer into or out of the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering?

  • It is important to note that spots for intra-campus transfers into all engineering majors are extremely limited.
    • The CODA application (found in MyPack Portal) is used to transfer into ANY major at NCSU. Changing your major entails submitting a CODA application for the major(s) you desire.
    • Students who are planning an intra-campus transfer INTO any engineering major must satisfy the engineering CODA requirements, which are described here: http://www.engr.ncsu.edu/academics/undergrad/coda/.
    • Students who are planning an intra-campus transfer OUT OF ME or AE to a different major within the the College of Engineering may contact Dr. Mary Clare Robbins (mrobbins@ncsu.edu) or the academic adviser for that department with any questions.
    • Students who are planning an intra-campus transfer out of ME or AE to a non-engineering major should first visit the Academic Advising Services website for information on admission requirements and for the name of an adviser in that department. Those who need more guidance about choosing non-engineering majors should make an appointment with an Academic Advising Services adviser.
    • For Students seeking to transfer into MAE from community college, four-year colleges and universities, and from institutions in foreign countries, please see the College of Engineering website. Be aware that these transfers are not initiated in the MAE department.

How does the university’s drop/add deadline work? Is the “W” given for post-census day drops bad on my transcript?

  • Be sure to familiarize yourself with the university’s course drop/add policy
  • Students may self-drop from a course from census day through the first eight (8) weeks (40 days) of regular fall and spring terms and during the first thirteen (13) days of summer terms
  • Undergraduate student course drops after census day are considered to be course withdrawals and result in a W grade on the transcript
  • Undergraduate students will be limited to a maximum of sixteen (16) hours of course withdrawals over their academic career
  • All hours from course withdrawals will count as attempted hours for course repeats, determining eligibility to continue enrollment, and determining eligibility to receive financial aid
  • One or two late drop W’s are not likely to cause a problem on your transcript as long as they are not for the same course, but some graduate schools may count the W’s negatively when considering your application

When do the MAE labs begin each semester?

  • ME labs normally begin the third week of classes during regular semesters. Check Moodle for more information.
  • Some AE labs begin the second week of class, some the third week. Check Moodle for more information.

How can I get into MAE 206, MAE 208, MAE 251, MAE 201, or MAE 214 if I do not meet the minimum 2.5 GPA requirement?

  • All students are required to have a 2.5 or better GPA to register for MAE 206, MAE 208, MAE 251, MAE 201, and MAE 214, except in the cases below:
  • A new transfer student who does not yet have an NCSU GPA and meets all the prerequisites is permitted to take these courses (eligibility must be confirmed by the COE transfer office, 120 Page Hall). Contact the MAE undergraduate office for assistance.
  • A student visiting from another university may take these courses as long as he/she meets all the prerequisites (must provide proof, such as an unofficial transcript). Contact the MAE undergraduate office for assistance.
  • A student from a department other than MAE should the MAE undergraduate office for assistance.
  • The MAE undergraduate office contact is cheryl_tran@ncsu.edu.
  • See the MAE academic policies for more information about permission to enroll in MAE courses.

How do I enroll in a 500-level MAE course if I am an undergraduate?

  • Undergraduates must have completed all 300-level MAE courses required for their major and have a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA to be eligible for enrollment in 500-level MAE courses.
  • 500-level MAE courses can be counted as technical electives for ME and AE, but graduate courses used to satisfy undergraduate degree requirement cannot be applied to a graduate degree. (The one exception is for 5-year accelerated BS/MS students.)
  • Students who satisfy the requirements above and wish to enroll in a 500-level MAE course may contact cheryl_tran@ncsu.edu.

How do I enroll in a junior- or senior-level MAE course if I have not yet CODAed into the MAE department?

  • Students with a 2.5 or higher overall GPA are allowed to enroll in MAE 206 Engineering Statics, MAE 208 Engineering Dynamics, MAE 201 Engineering Thermodynamics I, and MAE 214 Solid Materials.
  • Students who have not CODAed into the MAE department are not eligible to enroll in junior- and senior-level MAE classes.
  • See the MAE academic policies for more information about permission to enroll in MAE courses.

What can I do if I do not meet the prerequisites for an MAE class?

  • Prerequisites are strictly enforced for all MAE courses. See list of prerequisites.
  • Any student who meets a prerequisite with a transfer course that has not yet appeared on his/her degree audit may contact cheryl_tran@ncsu.edu for help with registration (must provide proof, such as an unofficial transcript).
  • Students with special circumstances may appeal to the MAE undergraduate advisory committee. A student requesting any exception to an MAE rule or regulation must do so in writing and submit the request and a copy of the degree audit from My Pack to the MAE Undergraduate Office in 3205 Engineering Building 3.
  • See the MAE academic policies for more information about permission to enroll in MAE courses.

Do I have to take co-requisite courses at the same time?

  • Yes, most MAE co-requisites are enforced.

How can I get into a class outside of the MAE department that is restricted?

  • When there are open seats in a course that are reserved for specific majors, you may attend class the first day and ask the instructor for permission to have one of the restricted seats.  If the instructor grants permission, use a schedule revision form to add the course to your schedule.  You can pick up a schedule revision form from your academic adviser. This form requires the instructor’s signature.
  • If the course restriction says departmental approval required, you may contact the instructor to find out who in the department can grant permission (permission must come from the department teaching the class).
  • If there is a GPA restriction that you do not meet, you will not be able to register for the class.

I want to take ENG 331 next semester when I am a junior, but I cannot sign up for the class because of the junior standing restriction. What should I do?

  • The English department does not make exceptions to this restriction.
  • Take ENG 331 later on. It doesn’t matter when, since it is not a prerequisite for any other course.

I am an incoming freshman. How do I register for my first semester of classes?

  • The College of Engineering will pre-register you for classes based on your SAT and AP scores.
  • You will be allowed to adjust your course schedule at orientation. The advising hold on your account will be released at this time.
  • Departmental advisers are not permitted to release advising holds or modify schedules for incoming freshmen prior to orientation.

I am an incoming transfer student. How do I register for my first semester of classes, and whom should I contact with questions about my transfer courses?

  • You will initially be advised by the College of Engineering Transfer Office. Questions about transfer courses should also be directed to this office via .
  • Contact engineering@ncsu.edu or visit 120 Page Hall.

I am a transfer student. Do I need to take E 101?

  • The College of Engineering offers a substitute course for transfer students, E 201 Engineering Transfer to Success.

How can I get into a full class?

  • First, get on the wait list if you can. Note that wait lists are closed the first day of class and deleted on the last day to add a class.
  • Attend the first day and see if there is room and the instructor is willing to take extra students into the class.
  • For non-MAE courses, if the instructor grants permission, a schedule revision form can be used to add the course to your schedule. You can pick up a schedule revision form from your academic adviser.
  • For MAE courses, the instructor may contact cheryl_tran@ncsu.edu indicating permission for you to be added to the class. Note that instructor permission does not guarantee departmental permission to enroll in a full MAE course.
  • It is not recommended that students contact the instructor before classes begin about getting into a full class

What are the differences between distance education and regular classes (non-MAE courses only)?

  • Students are not typically required to come to campus for distance education courses, except for some exams. Exam accommodations can be made for students out of state.
  • Distance education courses meet curriculum requirements the same as regular courses.
  • Some on-campus courses are listed as “internet” courses. These ARE NOT distance education courses; they are regular courses that will be administered online.

How do I register for distance education MAE courses?

  • Distance education MAE courses are reserved for students in special dual-degree programs.
  • Students who are not in one of these programs are not permitted to register for distance education MAE courses. No exceptions.

How can I take more courses after I complete my degree and graduate?

Can my MAE adviser help me get into non-MAE courses?

  • No. Only administrators in the department offering a course can add or remove students from classes in that department.

I am entering my last semester as a mechanical engineering student, but I cannot get into MAE 416 (senior design) because it is full. What should I do?

  • Contact cheryl_tran@ncsu.edu with your first and second choices of course section
  • All graduating seniors are guaranteed a spot in MAE 416

Are MAE courses always offered during the summer?

  • MAE course offerings during summers are dependent on instructor availability and student demand. If no instructor is available or demand for a course is low, it will not be offered.
  • All 200-level, most 300-level, and only a few 400-level courses are NORMALLY offered in summers, but students should NEVER count on a course being offered during the summer when developing an academic plan of work.

Can I take more than more than 18 credit hours in a regular semester or 8 credit hours in a 5-week summer session?

  • You must have permission from your adviser and the College of Engineering for a semester course load waiver to enroll in more than 18 credit hours in a regular semester or 8 credit hours in a 5-week summer session.
  • To request a waiver, email cheryl_tran@ncsu.edu.

What is the Maymester and how do I find courses offered during the Maymester?

  • The Maymester is a short 3-week “summer term” that begins immediately after the spring semester. It is intended for students who need a quick mode to complete one, 3-credit course.
  • This is a good option for graduating seniors who have only one GEP or non-major course to finish in order to complete degree requirements.
  • Maymester courses are listed under the first summer term and can be identified by the “3 week” notation.

Can I register for senior level MAE courses if I am a junior?

  • Yes, as long as you meet all the prerequisites.

How do I change a course to audit before the last day to drop a course?

  • Students who want to audit a course must fill out an Audit Request Form, acquire the necessary signatures, and submit the signed form to the Office of Registration & Records (1000 Harris Hall).

I registered for an MAE course, but I received an email notifying me that I was switched to another section or dropped from the course. Why did this happen, and what can I do about it?

  • Occasionally, instructor changes are made that require a large class section to be split in two. When this happens, half the students are moved to a new section on the same day and time schedule.  The students moved are chosen randomly.
  • If you were dropped from a course, it is mostly likely for one of the following reasons:
    Did not meet course prerequisites
    Course was canceled
    On academic suspension
    Did not pay bill
  • For the first 3 cases above, there is nothing you can do to get back in the class.
  • If you feel you were dropped from a course for a prerequisite violation in error, contact cheryl_tran@ncsu.edu

I want to add/drop a course after the last day to add/drop. Can I do this?

  • Deadlines for adding/dropping courses can be found here
  • Late course additions must be approved by the instructor of the course and the College of Engineering. A schedule revision form should be used to add a course.
  • Late course drops are permitted only under certain extenuating circumstances. A schedule revision form should be used to add a course. The form must be accompanied by a letter of explanation addressed to Dr. Dave Parish, Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs, justifying the request and supporting documentation (doctor’s notes, counseling center notes, etc.).
  • Students who have a legitimate reason for dropping a course after the deadline should first consult the University Counseling Center
  • The university policy on late drops (withdrawals) can be found here
  • Schedule revision forms can be acquired from your academic adviser.

Can I switch to another section of the same MAE course after the last day to add a class?

  • No

How does the grade exclusion policy work?

How many times can I repeat the same course?

  • The university allows only two attempts of the same course if a grade of C- or lower is earned.
  • Courses in which a grade of C or better is earned cannot be repeated.
  • Visit this link for information about the course repeat policies

I am repeating a course that has a corresponding lab. Do I need to retake the lab, as well?

  • If the lab is separate from the class and has any credit hours associated with it, you do not have to retake the lab.
  • If the lab is zero credits and part of the class, you must retake the lab with the class.

How can I find out whether I am suspended or on academic warning?

  • Log into My Pack and view your Degree Audit.
  • Click on Total Units in the top right corner of the Degree Audit.
  • Academic standing is shown at the bottom of the Total Units page.

I have been notified I am on academic warning and need to meet with my adviser. What should I do?

  • Bring a copy of an academic advisement form to your academic advisor. Be sure to fill out the top box before you come.
  • Leave your form in the drop box outside the MAE undergraduate office.
  • Failure to follow these steps will result in a hold on your account that prevents registration for the next semester.

I have been academically suspended. Can I take classes while I am on suspension, and when can I return to school?

I received an email notifying me that I am on progress toward degree warning. What does this mean?

  • Progress toward degree warning means you are not progressing in your degree as required by the university (e.g., taking too many non-curriculum courses, repeating courses too many times, poor grades, etc.).
  • Students who receive a progress toward degree warning email should schedule a meeting with their adviser as soon as possible to develop an agreement and plan of work for improvement.
  • Students who do not show improvement after one semester or fail to meet with their adviser will be expelled from the MAE department and switched to the non-degree studies (NDS) program.
  • The university policy on progress toward degree can be found here http://policies.ncsu.edu/regulation/reg-02-05-03

Which courses satisfy the computer science requirement for mechanical/aerospace engineering?

  • CSC 113 Matlab is the recommended programming course for AE and ME Majors
  • CSC 114 C++
  • BME 201 Computational Methods in BME (available to BME students only)
  • ECE 209 Computer Systems (prerequisite: ECE 109)
  • ISE 110 Computer-Based Modeling
  • MA 116 Into to Scientific Programming (Matlab course)
  • Any 3 credit Matlab or C-based programming course

Can COM 110 be substituted for ENG 331?

  • No

Will either MSE 200 or MSE 201 satisfy the mechanical/aerospace engineering curriculum requirements?

  • Yes, either course will satisfy the ME and AE material science requirement.

I have courses listed under non-degree that are substitutes for degree requirements (MA 116 for CSC 113, MSE 201 for MSE 200, MAE 496 for departmental elective, etc.). How can I move these courses in my degree audit?

  • Course substitutions must be done manually by an adviser. Send an email to mae.ncsu@gmail.com with a list of substitutions.

I am interested in a double major in mechanical and aerospace engineering. How many extra courses will I need to take, and how do I declare a second major?

  • Due to high CODA demand for all engineering majors, we are not able to accept AE/ME double majors at this time.
  • The two majors are so similar, it is not necessary to double major. Ask your MAE academic advisor for recommendations on customizing your AE or ME degree to suit your interests.

I am interested in adding ME or AE as a second major. How many extra courses will I need to take, and how do I declare a second major?

  • Due to high CODA demand for all engineering majors, we are not able to accept current engineering students as a double major.
  • If you are a non-engineering major and would like to add engineering as a second major, you may apply to CODA into an engineering major and designate “add a major” instead of “change major.”
  • It is important to note that seats for second majors in all engineering departments are extremely limited.

What is a good minor to complement my mechanical/aerospace engineering major?

  • The most popular non-humanity minors for MAE students are graphic communications, math, and physics.
  • Computer programming is a good minor for AE.
  • MAE students with artistic interests often minor in design studies.
  • A minor in business administration is helpful for students who plan to get an MBA.
  • Industrial, nuclear, and material science offer engineering minors.
  • Many MAE students minor in a foreign language.
  • For more information about minors, visit Academic Advising Services.

Can I get a minor in mechanical/aerospace engineering?

  • We do not offer a minor in ME or AE at this time.

How do I declare a minor?

  • Fill out a minor declaration form and bring it to your minor adviser, who will approve and send it to Registration & Records.
  • The minor audit will appear under “Degree Audit” in My Pack and will be designated on your official transcript at the same time your degree is conferred.

What is the proper etiquette when emailing instructors?

What is the Faculty Mentor Program?

What is the Faculty Mentor Program Handbook?

How and when do I apply for graduation?

  • Apply for graduation no later than the beginning of the semester or summer session in which you are completing the last courses you need to finish your curriculum requirements.
  • There is one simple step for graduation check-out: Submit a graduation request in My Pack.
  • Once you have applied for graduation, you will receive email communications from the university and department about graduation-related details.

Where and when are the departmental and university graduation ceremonies?

  • Information about the university graduation ceremony can be found here
  • Information about the MAE graduation ceremony can be found here

I am interested in applying for graduate school in the MAE department. How can I find out more information?

How do I apply for scholarships, and what are my odds of receiving one?

  • Students should complete the online scholarship eligibility form to apply for all COE and MAE scholarships.
  • MAE and COE scholarships are awarded only to students who have CODAed.
  • About 15% of MAE students received some type of COE or MAE scholarship.
  • Odds of receiving a scholarship vary by year. GPA (overall and major), financial need, personal statement, and classification are strongly weighted in the awarding process.
  • Availability of funds determines the number and amount of new scholarships awarded each year.
  • A list of MAE departmental scholarships can be found here.

I am interested in doing undergraduate research. How do I get started?

  • If you are doing well in your classes and have time for outside activities, then undergraduate research may be for you. It is an excellent experience that prepares you for higher education.
  • The best way to get started is to look through the faculty profile pages and the MAE research links (https://www.mae.ncsu.edu/research/). Then, select faculty who work on research topics of interest to you, and meet with them to discuss their undergraduate research opportunities.
  • Posters highlighting the most current MAE research going on can be found all along the walls of the 3rd and 1st floors of EB3.
  • To earn tech elective credit for research (MAE 496), fill out a MAE496 Sign-up Request Form. (Students must have completed most required 300-level ME or AE courses to be eligible to enroll in MAE 496.)
  • Students will be required to submit a project proposal, mid-term progress report, and final report during the course of the semester in which they are registered for MAE 496.

How do I join the MAE honors program, and what are the requirements for completion?

  • Students who have a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA at the time of CODA are eligible to apply to the MAE honors program.
  • The MAE honors program requires nine credit hours of honors coursework. At least three of the credits must be undergraduate thesis (MAE 496), and the other six credits can be graduate-level MAE courses or undergraduate MAE courses taken for honors credit.
  • MAE Honors Program Application: https://www.mae.ncsu.edu/academics/honors-pow.pdf

How many technical electives do I need to take for my mechanical/aerospace engineering major, and which courses are eligible?

  • See list of approved MAE electives
  • The AE degree requires 4 “guided” technical electives and 3 “open” technical electives
  • The ME degree requires 3 “open” technical electives
  • AE students may also choose from the ME electives, and ME students may also choose from the AE electives (pre and co-requisites must be fulfilled)
  • “Open” technical elective means you may choose from any courses on the approved MAE electives list

What are the GEP requirements for the mechanical/aerospace engineering curriculum?

  • All engineering students are required to take seven GEP courses (21 credit hours total) from several different categories.
  • For MAE students, one of the seven must be an engineering ethics course.
  • All GEP courses must be taken for a grade, except for health and exercise studies courses, which can be pass/fail (credit only).
  • The list of approved GEP courses can be found here: https://oucc.dasa.ncsu.edu/general-education-program-gep/gep-category-requirements/

Which courses satisfy the ethics requirement for MAE?

  • STS 302, STS 304, STS 320 and PHI 214, PHI 375
  • IDS 201 and PHI/STS 325 are also acceptable, even though they do no appear on the “official” approved list for MAE ethics.

I have taken or plan to take a course at another college that I intend to transfer to meet one of my mechanical/aerospace engineering curriculum requirements. How can I make sure the course will transfer? (This includes study abroad.

  • First, check the list of pre-approved transfer courses for NC Community Colleges or other colleges/universities. If the course does not appear on either list, it will have to be evaluated for equivalence.
  • You must provide a complete syllabus, textbook list, and graded coursework (if the course has been completed already) for evaluation. These materials should be submitted to the department responsible for the course that you intend to substitute.
  • Contact engineering@ncsu.edu (study abroad students contact Mr. Brian Koehler at koehler@ncsu.edu) or visit 120 Page Hall for help locating departmental representatives who can evaluate your transfer course.
  • To enroll in courses at another college of university, you must contact that school, or visit their website, and follow the process for enrolling as a “visiting” student.
  • To transfer your course to NCSU, have an official copy of your transcript sent to the Undergraduate Admissions Office.

My AP credit does not appear in my degree audit. How can I fix this?

  • Credit for AP courses will not appear in the degree audit until your AP scores have been sent to NC State from College Board.
  • If there are errors or missing AP credits after scores have been received by NC State, contact or visit the Registration & Records Office (919-515-2572 or 1000 Harris Hall).

I plan to or have withdrawn from NCSU. Will the credits I’ve already earned expire, and how can I re-enroll if I decide to return?

  • The credits you earn at NCSU do not have an expiration date.
  • A student who withdraws in good standing (GPA 2.0 or higher) may return any time.
  • Students who withdraw between semesters need only to drop all of their courses for the up-coming semester to be considered withdrawn.
  • Students who withdraw in the middle of a semester should make an appointment with the University Counseling Center for assistance.
  • The readmission guidelines and procedures can be found here

How do I completely withdraw from courses for a semester (or longer)?

  • If you plan to complete the current semester but do not plan to enroll during the following semester, simply do not register for any courses. You will be considered withdrawn from the university effective census day of the semester in which you are not enrolled.
  • A withdrawal from all of your courses mid-semester due to health or personal issues must be initiated through NCSU Counseling Center. Visit the Counseling Center website for information: http://healthcenter.ncsu.edu/counseling-center/services/academic-counseling/withdrawal/