Zan Prevost Smith Professor
- Engineering Building III (EB3) 3154
- Visit My Website
Mohammed A. Zikry is the Zan Prevost Smith Professor at North Carolina State University in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. He received his Ph.D. from the University of California, San Diego, his M.S. from the Johns Hopkins University, and his B.S. from the University of Kansas.
Amongst his recent awards, he has received the Jefferson Science Award as a senior science advisor to the U.S. State Department, Senior Research Fulbright Award to Egypt and France, the ALCOA Distinguished Research Award, the Research Excellence Award (NCSU) and the Ralph Teetor Research Award from the Society of Automotive Engineering.
He has been awarded a Professeur, Premiere Classe, Strasbourg University, and he is also a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineering (ASME), the Regional Editor for Mechanics of Materials, and is co-chair of the Executive Committee of ASME’s National Materials Division. He has been a senior research advisor to the Army Research Office and the Department of Defense, and a consultant to numerous industries and organizations.
University of California, San Diego
Johns Hopkins University
University of California, San Diego
University of Kansas
Computational Modeling and Mechanics: hierarchical models spanning the nano to the macro scales; prediction of material and structural response based on physically based material models Failure models for heterogeneous ductile and brittle systems: fracture mechanics; plasticity; microstructural effects due to grain-boundaries, cell walls, sub-grains and grain morphology Dynamic behavior of structures and materials: stress waves in solids; structural dynamics; mechanical behavior of composite structures subjected to high impact velocities; grain-boundary and interfacial effects Experimental Solid Mechanics: AFM, TEM, and SEM quantitative measurements of nano and micro failure surfaces; universal scaling laws, dynamic failure Micromechanics: strengthening and toughening mechanisms in composites; mechanical behavior and structural integrity; mechanical response of ceramics, intermetallics, and polymers; interfacial fracture mechanics Active materials: structural stability and design of smart structures and materials; integration of embedded devices within host systems
Honors and Awards
- R.J. Reynolds Award for Excellence in Teaching, Research and Extension, 2015
- Dynamic fracture of aluminum-bonded composites
- Khanikar, P., Wu, Q. F., & Zikry, M. A. (2016), Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 138(3).
- The effects of twins on the large strain deformation and fracture of hexagonal close packed crystalline materials
- Ziaei, S., & Zikry, M. A. (2016), Acta Materialia, 120, 435-442.
- A direct correlation of x-ray diffraction orientation distributions to the in-plane stiffness of semi-crystalline organic semiconducting films
- Zhao, B. X., Awartani, O., O'Connor, B., & Zikry, M. A. (2016), Applied Physics Letters, 108(18).
- Microstructural modeling of transgranular and intergranular fracture in crystalline materials with coincident site lattice grain-boundaries: Sigma 3 and Sigma 17b bicrystals
- Wu, Q., & Zikry, M. A. (2016), Materials Science & Engineering. A, Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructure and Processing, 661, 32-39.
- Microstructural behavior and failure mechanisms of organic semicrystalline thin film blends
- Zhao, B. X., Awartani, O., O'Connor, B., & Zikry, M. A. (2016), Journal of Polymer Science. Part B, Polymer Physics, 54(9), 896-907.
- Anisotropic elastic modulus of oriented regioregular poly(3-hexylthiophene) films
- Awartani, O. M., Zhao, B. X., Currie, T., Kline, R. J., Zikry, M. A., & O'Connor, B. T. (2016), Macromolecules, 49(1), 327-333.
- Behaviour of crystalline-amorphous interfaces in energetic aggregates subjected to coupled thermomechanical and laser loading
- Brown, J. A., & Zikry, M. A. (2015), Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series A, Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 471(2184).
- Prediction of diffusion assisted hydrogen embrittlement failure in high strength martensitic steels
- Wu, Q., & Zikry, M. A. (2015), Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 85, 143-159.
- Modelling of shape memory polymer sheets that self-fold in response to localized heating
- Mailen, R. W., Liu, Y., Dickey, M. D., Zikry, M., & Genzer, J. (2015), Soft Matter, 11(39), 7827-7834.
- Effect of microstructure on the coupled electromagnetic-thermo-mechanical response of cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine-estane energetic aggregates to infrared laser radiation
- Brown, J. A., & Zikry, M. A. (2015), Journal of Applied Physics, 118(12).
- Feasibility Project: Mechanical Experiments for Adhesion Strengths of ITO and IZO Thin Films
- Eastman Chemical Company(1/15/16 - 9/15/16)
- EMN-14-S-S-01 Integrated Modeling and Experimental Prediction and Control of Thermo-Mechanical Failure Modes in Thin Film Multilayered Systems
- Eastman Chemical Company(11/30/-1 - 2/14/17)
- Army Research Proposal for a Workshop on Nanomanufacturing
- US Army - Army Research Office(9/03/12 - 10/02/13)
- Mechanical Properties of Organic Solar Cells
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(5/01/12 - 4/30/16)
- DESIGN OF A NEW MARS MINI-ROVER
- National Aeronautics & Space Administration (NASA)(10/17/11 - 2/29/12)
- ONR Proposal
- US Navy-Office Of Naval Research(6/01/11 - 9/30/15)
- Microstructurally Based Prediction of High Strain Failure Modes in Crystalline Solids
- US Army - Army Research Office(7/23/12 - 1/22/16)
- Consortium for Advanced Simulations for Light Water Reactors (CASL) - Oak Ridge National laboratory
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(11/30/-1 - 9/30/19)
- Development of Multi-layer Aluminum Alloys for Armor
- US Army(11/30/-1 - 5/09/13)
- Sound and Electromagnetic Interacting Waves
- US Navy-Office Of Naval Research(8/01/10 - 6/30/17)