- Engineering Building III (EB3) 3238
- Visit My Website
Dr. Zhu’s long-term goal is to advance nanoscience and nanotechnology by improving the understanding of nanoscale material behavior.
Dr. Zhu teaches Micro/Nano electromechanical Systems (MAE 536) for students interested in the fundamentals and the applications of micro/nano sensors and actuators. His lecture style course includes guest lecturers from industry and academia, and concludes with final projects of teams of 2 to 3 students in which the teams, based on the class material, propose and design micro/nano transducers for their intended applications, and study related scientific issues.
Dr. Zhu’s graduate students are self-motivated; they like both experimental and theoretical work, and tend to enjoy intellectually challenging, multi-disciplinary problems. The research they conduct in Dr. Zhu’s lab advances a major engineering frontier that may eventually lead to important new discoveries in the field of nanoscience and nanotechnology.
At the undergraduate level, Dr. Zhu teaches Solid Mechanics (MAE 314) and Strength of Mechanical Components (MAE 316). Both of these classes are taught following standard practices but he also includes in his lectures examples taken from his work on nano/micro devices.
Outside of work, Dr. Zhu enjoys travel and sports like swimming, basketball, and ping-pong.
Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering
University of Science and Technology of China
Dr. Zhu is interested in mEMS/NEMS design, fabrication and characterization; mechanics and materials issues in nanostructures and thin films; and mechanics of soft materials (including polymers and biological cells) and interfaces. Dr. Zhu is currently 1) developing micro/nano electromechanical transducers (NEMS/MEMS), 2) studying mechanical, electrical, and thermal inter-relations at the nanoscale, and 3) studying mechanical behavior of biological cells, thin films, and adhesion.
Honors and Awards
- ASME Fellow, 2017
- Eshelby Mechanics Award, 2017
- University Faculty Scholar, 2015
- MAE Outstanding Research Award, 2015
- Alcoa Foundation Engineering Research Achievement Award (College of Engineering), 2015
- ASME Sia Nemat-Nasser Early Career Award, 2015
- Society of Experimental Mechanics Young Investigator Lecture Award, 2013
- Sigma Xi Faculty Research Award, 2012
- Characterization and modeling of catalyst-free carbon-assisted synthesis of ZnO nanowires
- Kong, X. C. and Wei, C. and Zhu, Y. and Cohen, P. and Dong, J. Y. (2018), Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 32(), 438-444.
- Controlled bending and folding of a bilayer structure consisting of a thin stiff film and a heat shrinkable polymer sheet
- Cui, J. X. and Adams, J. G. M. and Zhu, Y. (2018), Smart Materials & Structures, 27(5), .
- Electrohydrodynamic printing of silver nanowires for flexible and stretchable electronics
- Cui, Z. and Han, Y. W. and Huang, Q. J. and Dong, J. Y. and Zhu, Y. (2018), Nanoscale, 10(15), 6806-6811.
- Evoked haptic sensations in the hand via non-invasive proximal nerve stimulation
- Shin, H. and Watkins, Z. and Huang, H. and Zhu, Y. and Hu, X. G. (2018), Journal of Neural Engineering, 15(4), .
- Gravure Printing of Water-based Silver Nanowire ink on Plastic Substrate for Flexible Electronics
- Huang, Qijin and Zhu, Yong (2018), SCIENTIFIC REPORTS, 8(), .
- Nanomaterial-enabled wearable sensors for healthcare
- Yao, S. S. and Swetha, P. and Zhu, Y. (2018), Advanced Healthcare Materials, 7(1), .
- A novel finger kinematic tracking method based on skin-like wearable strain sensors
- Yao, S. S. and Vargas, L. and Hu, X. G. and Zhu, Y. (2018), IEEE Sensors Journal, 18(7), 3010-3015.
- Anomalous tensile detwinning in twinned nanowires
- Cheng, G. M. and Yin, S. and Chang, T. H. and Richter, G. and Gao, H. J. and Zhu, Y. (2017), Physical Review Letters, 19(25), .
- Compact, highly efficient, and fully flexible circularly polarized antenna enabled by silver nanowires for wireless body-area networks
- Jiang, Z. H. and Cui, Z. and Yue, T. W. and Zhu, Y. and Werner, D. H. (2017), IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, 11(4), 920-932.
- Controlling the self-folding of a polymer sheet using a local heater: The effect of the polymer-heater interface
- Cui, J. X. and Yao, S. S. and Huang, Q. J. and Adams, J. G. M. and Zhu, Y. (2017), Soft Matter, 13(21), 3863-3870.
- Hypoxia and H2O2 dual-sensitive vesicles for enhanced glucose-responsive insulin delivery
- Yu, J. C. and Qian, C. G. and Zhang, Y. Q. and Cui, Z. and Zhu, Y. and Shen, Q. D. and Ligler, F. S. and Buse, J. B. and Gu, Z. (2017), Nano Letters, 17(2), 733-739.
- Large-area nanolattice film with enhanced modulus, hardness, and energy dissipation
- Bagal, A. and Zhang, X. A. and Shahrin, R. and Dandley, E. C. and Zhao, J. J. and Poblete, F. R. and Oldham, C. J. and Zhu, Y. and Parsons, G. N. and Bobko, C. and Chang, C. H. (2017), Scientific Reports, 7(), .
- Mechanics of crystalline nanowires: An experimental perspective
- Zhu, Y. (2017), Applied Mechanics Reviews, 69(1), .
- Piezoelectric floating element shear stress sensor for the wind tunnel flow measurement
- Kim, T. and Saini, A. and Kim, J. and Gopalarathnam, A. and Zhu, Y. and Palmieri, F. L. and Wohl, C. J. and Jiang, X. N. (2017), IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 64(9), 7304-7312.
- Pop-up assembly of 3D structures actuated by heat shrinkable polymers
- Cui, J. X. and Adams, J. G. M. and Zhu, Y. (2017), Smart Materials & Structures, 26(12), .
- Soft electrothermal actuators using silver nanowire heaters
- Yao, S. S. and Cui, J. X. and Cui, Z. and Zhu, Y. (2017), Nanoscale, 9(11), 3797-3805.
- Thrombin-responsive transcutaneous patch for auto-anticoagulant regulation
- Zhang, Y. Q. and Yu, J. C. and Wang, J. Q. and Hanne, N. J. and Cui, Z. and Qian, C. G. and Wang, C. and Xin, H. L. and Cole, J. H. and Gallippi, C. M. and Zhu, Y. and Gu, Z. (2017), Advanced Materials, 29(4), .
- A review on mechanics and mechanical properties of 2D materials-Graphene and beyond
- Akinwande, D. and Brennan, C. J. and Bunch, J. S. and Egberts, P. and Felts, J. R. and Gao, H. J. and Huang, R. and Kim, J. S. and Li, T. and Li, Y. and Liechti, K. M. and Lu, N. S. and Park, H. S. and Reed, E. J. and Wang, P. and Yakobson, B. I. and Zhang, T. and Zhang, Y. W. and Zhou, Y. and Zhu, Y. (2017), Extreme Mechanics Letters, 13(), 42-77.
- Bringing plos genetics editors to preprint servers
- Barsh, G. S. and Bergman, C. M. and Brown, C. D. and Singh, N. D. and Copenhaver, G. P. (2016), PLoS Genetics, 12(12), .
- Editorial for the focus issue on "Nanomechanics'' in Extreme Mechanics Letters
- Zhu, Y. and Gianola, D. and Zhu, T. (2016), Extreme Mechanics Letters, 8(), 125-126.
- Elastic drug delivery: could treatments be triggered by patient movement?
- Zhang, Y. Q. and Yu, J. C. and Zhu, Y. and Gu, Z. (2016), Nanomedicine, 11(4), 323-325.
- Evolution of irradiation-induced vacancy defects in boron nitride nanotubes
- Cheng, G. M. and Yao, S. S. and Sang, X. H. and Hao, B. Y. and Zhang, D. Y. and Yap, Y. K. and Zhu, Y. (2016), Small (Weinheim An Der Bergstrasse, Germany), 12(6), 818-824.
- Helical coil buckling mechanism for a stiff nanowire on an elastomeric substrate
- Chen, Y. L. and Liu, Y. L. and Yan, Y. and Zhu, Y. and Chen, X. (2016), Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 95(), 25-43.
- In situ nanomechanical testing of crystalline nanowires in electron microscopes
- Zhu, Y. (2016), JOM: the Journal of the Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, 68(1), 84-93.
- Low-power wearable systems for continuous monitoring of environment and health for chronic respiratory disease
- Dieffenderfer, J. and Goodell, H. and Mills, S. and McKnight, M. and Yao, S. S. and Lin, F. Y. and Beppler, E. and Bent, B. and Lee, B. and Misra, V. and Zhu, Y. and Oralkan, O. and Strohmaier, J. and Muth, J. and Peden, D. and Bozkurt, A. (2016), IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, 20(5), .
- Mechanical force-triggered drug delivery
- Zhang, Y. Q. and Yu, J. C. and Bomba, H. N. and Zhu, Y. and Gu, Z. (2016), Chemical Reviews, 116(19), 12536-12563.
- Mechanism of the transition from in-plane buckling to helical buckling for a stiff nanowire on an elastomeric substrate
- Chen, Y. L. and Zhu, Y. and Chen, X. and Liu, Y. L. (2016), Journal of Applied Mechanics: Transactions of the ASME, 83(4), .
- Nanomaterial-enabled dry electrodes for electrophysiological sensing: A review
- Yao, S. S. and Zhu, Y. (2016), JOM: the Journal of the Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, 68(4), 1145-1155.
- On the size-dependent elasticity of penta-twinned silver nanowires
- Chang, T. H. and Cheng, G. M. and Li, C. J. and Zhu, Y. (2016), Extreme Mechanics Letters, 8(), 177-183.
- Silver nanowire based wearable sensors for multimodal sensing
- Lin, F. Y. and Yao, S. S. and McKnight, M. and Zhu, Y. and Bozkurt, A. (2016), Sensing Systems, (), 55-58.
- A piezoelectric shear stress sensor
- Kim, T. and Saini, A. and Kim, J. and Gopalarathnam, A. and Zhu, Y. and Palmieri, F. L. and Wohl, C. J. and Jiang, X. N. (2016), Proceedings of SPIE-the International Society for Optical Engineering, 9803(), .
- Cohesive-shear-lag modeling of interfacial stress transfer between a monolayer graphene and a polymer substrate
- Guo, G. D. and Zhu, Y. (2015), Journal of Applied Mechanics: Transactions of the ASME, 82(3), .
- Design and operation of silver nanowire based flexible and stretchable touch sensors
- Cui, Z. and Poblete, F. R. and Cheng, G. M. and Yao, S. S. and Jiang, X. N. and Zhu, Y. (2015), Journal of Materials Research, 30(1), 79-85.
- Flexible technologies for self-powered wearable health and environmental sensing
- Misra, V. and Bozkurt, A. and Calhoun, B. and Jackson, T. and Jur, J. S. and Lach, J. and Lee, B. and Muth, J. and Oralkan, O. and Ozturk, M. and Trolier-McKinstry, S. and Vashaee, D. and Wentzloff, D. and Zhu, Y. (2015), Proceedings of the IEEE, 103(4), 665-681.
- Large anelasticity and associated energy dissipation in single-crystalline nanowires
- Cheng, G. M. and Miao, C. Y. and Qin, Q. Q. and Li, J. and Xu, F. and Haftbaradaran, H. and Dickey, E. C. and Gao, H. J. and Zhu, Y. (2015), Nature Nanotechnology, 10(8), 687-691.
- Measuring graphene adhesion using atomic force microscopy with a microsphere tip
- Jiang, T. and Zhu, Y. (2015), Nanoscale, 7(24), 10760-10766.
- Nanomaterial-enabled stretchable conductors: Strategies, materials and devices
- Yao, S. S. and Zhu, Y. (2015), Advanced Materials, 27(9), 1480-1511.
- Recoverable plasticity in penta-twinned metallic nanowires governed by dislocation nucleation and retraction
- Qin, Q. Q. and Yin, S. and Cheng, G. M. and Li, X. Y. and Chang, T. H. and Richter, G. and Zhu, Y. and Gao, H. J. (2015), Nature Communications, 6(), .
- Silver nanowire strain sensors for wearable body motion tracking
- Yao, S. S. and Lee, J. S. and James, K. and Miller, J. and Narasimhan, V. and Dickerson, A. J. and Zhu, X. and Zhu, Y. (2015), IEEE Sensors, (), 1823-1826.
- Strain hardening and size effect in five-fold twinned Ag nanowires
- Narayanan, S. and Cheng, G. M. and Zeng, Z. and Zhu, Y. and Zhu, T. (2015), Nano Letters, 15(6), 4037-4044.
- Stretch-triggered drug delivery from wearable elastomer films containing therapeutic depots
- Di, J. and Yao, S. S. and Ye, Y. Q. and Cui, Z. and Yu, J. C. and Ghosh, T. K. and Zhu, Y. and Gu, Z. (2015), ACS Nano, 9(9), 9407-9415.
- Testing, measurement, and characterization of nanomaterials
- Peng, B. and Ke, C. H. and Liu, Y. L. and Zhu, Y. (2015), Journal of Nanomaterials, (), .
- Wearable silver nanowire dry electrodes for electrophysiological sensing
- Myers, A. C. and Huang, H. and Zhu, Y. (2015), RSC Advances, 5(15), 11627-11632.
- A review of microelectromechanical systems for nanoscale mechanical characterization
- Zhu, Y. and Chang, T. H. (2015), Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 25(9), .
- Interfacial sliding and buckling of monolayer graphene on a stretchable substrate
- Jiang, T. and Huang, R. and Zhu, Y. (2014), Advanced Functional Materials, 24(3), 396-402.
- Mechanical properties of silicon carbide nanowires: effect of size-dependent defect density
- Cheng, G. M. and Chang, T. H. and Qin, Q. Q. and Huang, H. C. and Zhu, Y. (2014), Nano Letters, 14(2), 754-758.
- Novel wearable EMG sensors based on nanowire technology
- Myers, A. and Du, L. and Huang, H. and Zhu, Y. (2014), IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society Conference Proceedings, (), 1674-1677.
- Stretchable and reversibly deformable radio frequency antennas based on silver nanowires
- Song, L. N. and Myers, A. C. and Adams, J. J. and Zhu, Y. (2014), ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 6(6), 4248-4253.
- Surface-energy-assisted perfect transfer of centimeter-scale mono layer and few-layer MoS2 films onto Arbitrary Substrates
- Gurarslan, A. and Yu, Y. F. and Su, L. Q. and Yu, Y. L. and Suarez, F. and Yao, S. and Zhu, Y. and Ozturk, M. and Zhang, Y. and Cao, L. Y. (2014), ACS Nano, 8(11), 11522-11528.
- Wearable multifunctional sensors using printed stretchable conductors made of silver nanowires
- Yao, S. S. and Zhu, Y. (2014), Nanoscale, 6(4), 2345-2352.
- Fabrication of functional nanowire devices on unconventional substrates using strain-release assembly
- Durham, J. W. and Zhu, Y. (2013), ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 5(2), 256-261.
- Stress relaxation in carbon nanotube-based fibers for load-bearing applications
- Zu, M. and Li, Q. W. and Zhu, Y. T. and Zhu, Y. and Wang, G. J. and Byun, J. H. and Chou, T. W. (2013), Carbon, 52(), 347-355.
- Temperature control in thermal microactuators with applications to in-situ nanomechanical testing
- Qin, Q. Q. and Zhu, Y. (2013), Applied Physics Letters, 102(1), .
- Temperature-dependent material properties of Z-shaped MEMS thermal actuators made of single crystalline silicon
- Ouyang, J. and McDonald, M. and Zhu, Y. (2013), Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 23(12), .
- A microelectromechanical system for thermomechanical testing of nanostructures
- Chang, T. H. and Zhu, Y. (2013), Applied Physics Letters, 103(26), .
- Highly conductive and stretchable silver nanowire conductors
- Xu, F. and Zhu, Y. (2012), Advanced Materials, 24(37), 5117-5122.
- Size effects on elasticity, yielding, and fracture of silver nanowires: In situ experiments
- Zhu, Y. and Qin, Q. Q. and Xu, F. and Fan, F. R. and Ding, Y. and Zhang, T. and Wiley, B. J. and Wang, Z. L. (2012), Physical Review. B, Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, 85(4), .
- Wavy ribbons of carbon nanotubes for stretchable conductors
- Xu, F. and Wang, X. and Zhu, Y. T. and Zhu, Y. (2012), Advanced Functional Materials, 22(6), 1279-1283.
- Z-shaped MEMS thermal actuators: Piezoresistive self-sensing and Preliminary Results for Feedback Control
- Ouyang, J. and Zhu, Y. (2012), Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 21(3), 596-604.
- A new electrothermal microactuator with Z-shaped beams: Design and operation
- Zhu, Y. (2012), Proceedings of the ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition 2010, vol 12, (), 77-81.
- Static friction between silicon nanowires and elastomeric substrates
- Qin, Q. Q. and Zhu, Y. (2011), ACS Nano, 5(9), 7404-7410.
- Strain-release assembly of nanowires on stretchable substrates
- Xu, F. and Durham, J. W. and Wiley, B. J. and Zhu, Y. (2011), ACS Nano, 5(2), 1556-1563.
- Controlled 3E buckling of silicon nanowires for stretchable electronics
- Xu, F. and Lu, W. and Zhu, Y. (2010), ACS Nano, 5(1), 672-678.
- Friction and shear strength at the nanowire-substrate interfaces
- Zhu, Y. and Qin, Q. Q. and Gu, Y. and Wang, Z. L. (2010), Nanoscale Research Letters, 5(2), 291-295.
- Mechanical properties of ZnO nanowires under different loading modes
- Xu, F. and Qin, Q. Q. and Mishra, A. and Gu, Y. and Zhu, Y. (2010), Nano Research, 3(4), 271-280.
- An electrothermal microactuator with Z-shaped beams
- Guan, C. H. and Zhu, Y. (2010), Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 20(8), .
- Direct extraction of rate-dependent traction-separation laws for polyurea/steel interfaces
- Zhu, Y. and Liechti, K. M. and Ravi-Chandar, K. (2009), International Journal of Solids and Structures, 46(1), 31-51.
- Mechanical properties of vapor-liquid-solid synthesized silicon nanowires
- Zhu, Y. and Xu, F. and Qin, Q. Q. and Fung, W. Y. and Lu, W. (2009), Nano Letters, 9(11), 3934-3939.
- Collaborative Research: Strength and Brittle-to-Ductile Transition of Silicon Nanowires at Elevated Temperatures
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(9/01/18 - 8/31/21)
- SNM: Printing and Integration of Metal Nanowires and Organic Semiconductors for Large-Area Stretchable Electronics and Sensors
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(7/01/17 - 6/30/21)
- Towards Restoring Natural Sensation of Hand Amputees via Wearable Surface Grid Electrodes
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(9/01/16 - 8/31/19)
- Nanocellulose Microneedle Array for Intradermal ISF Extraction
- NCSU Advanced Self Powered Systems of Sensors and Technologies (ASSIST) Center(9/01/15 - 8/31/16)
- Flexible and Stretchable Sensor Technology Research, Advanced Self Powered Systems of Sensors and Technologies Center, ASSIST Enhancement Project
- Samsung Research America Inc.(4/01/15 - 12/31/16)
- Nanowire Synthesis for Gas and Bioelectronic Sensing
- NCSU Advanced Self Powered Systems of Sensors and Technologies (ASSIST) Center(9/01/13 - 5/31/17)
- Evaluation of Flexible Micropost Arrays for Shear Stress Measurement
- National Aeronautics & Space Administration (NASA)(7/10/14 - 7/09/16)
- Poptube Technology, Enabling Multifunctional Hybrid Composites for Next Generation Aircrafts
- National Aeronautics & Space Administration (NASA)(3/16/14 - 9/15/16)
- Collaborative Research: Investigation of Deformation Mechanisms Governing the Tensile Ductility of Twinned Metal Nanowires
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(9/01/14 - 8/31/18)
- MRI: Development of a Miniature, High Temperature, Multiaxial Testing System for Advanced Materials and Engineering Research
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(8/15/13 - 7/31/18)