Associate Department Head for Research
- Phone: (919) 513-7735
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: Engineering Building III (EB3) 3238
- Website: http://www.mae.ncsu.edu/zhu/
In addition to his duties as Associate Department Head for Research, Dr. Yong Zhu also serves as Andrew A. Adams Distinguished Professor and MAE’s Director of Graduate Programs.
Dr. Zhu’s long-term goal is to advance nanoscience and nanotechnology by improving the understanding of nanoscale material behavior and exploring the applications of nanomaterials.
At the graduate level, Dr. Zhu teaches Micro/Nano electromechanical Systems (MAE 536) for students interested in the fundamentals and the applications of micro/nano sensors and actuators. His lecture style course includes guest lecturers from industry and academia, and concludes with final projects of teams of 2 to 3 students in which the teams, based on the class material, propose and design micro/nano transducers for their intended applications, and study related scientific issues. Dr. Zhu also teaches Advanced Solid Mechanics (MAE 541), which teaches elasticity theory leading to solution of practical engineering problems concerned with stress and deformation analysis.
Dr. Zhu’s graduate students are self-motivated; they like both experimental and theoretical work, and tend to enjoy intellectually challenging, multi-disciplinary problems. The research they conduct in Dr. Zhu’s lab advances a major engineering frontier that may eventually lead to important new discoveries in the field of nanoscience and nanotechnology.
At the undergraduate level, Dr. Zhu teaches Solid Mechanics (MAE 214) and Strength of Mechanical Components (MAE 316). Both of these classes are taught following standard practices but he also includes in his lectures examples taken from his work on nano/micro devices.
Outside of work, Dr. Zhu enjoys travel and sports like basketball, swimming, and ping-pong.
- A scalable microstructure photonic coating fabricated by roll-to-roll “defects” for daytime sub-ambient passive radiative cooling
- Liu, S., Sui, C., Harbinson, M., Pudlo, M., Perera, H., Zhang, Z., … Ryu, J. E. (2023), Nano Letters, 23(17), 7767–7774. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.nanolett.3c00111
- Abaxial leaf surface-mounted multimodal wearable sensor for continuous plant physiology monitoring
- Lee, G., Hossain, O., Jamalzadegan, S., Liu, Y., Wang, H., Saville, A. C., … Wei, Q. (2023), SCIENCE ADVANCES, 9(15). https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.ade2232
- All Electrohydrodynamic Printed Flexible Organic Thin Film Transistors
- Ren, P., Song, R., Zhu, Y., O'Connor, B., & Dong, J. (2023, June 21), ADVANCED MATERIALS TECHNOLOGIES, Vol. 6. https://doi.org/10.1002/admt.202300410
- Caterpillar-inspired soft crawling robot with distributed programmable thermal actuation
- Wu, S., Hong, Y., Zhao, Y., Yin, J., & Zhu, Y. (2023), SCIENCE ADVANCES, 9(12). https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.adf8014
- Ferroelectric Domain Wall Engineering Enables Thermal Modulation in PMN-PT Single Crystals
- Negi, A., Kim, H. P., Hua, Z., Timofeeva, A., Zhang, X., Zhu, Y., … Liu, J. (2023, April 27), ADVANCED MATERIALS, Vol. 4. https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.202211286
- High-dielectric porous CaCu3Ti4O12/reduced graphene oxide/ polydimethylsiloxane foam for wearable, breathable and low crosstalk capacitive pressure sensor
- Yang, Q., Li, C., Zhou, W., Li, Y., Zhu, Y., & Ma, Y. (2023), FLATCHEM, 40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.flatc.2023.100522
- Interfacial shear stress transfer between elastoplastic fiber and elastic matrix
- Shao, L.-H., Qu, X., Wang, T., Cui, Z., Liu, Y., & Zhu, Y. (2023), JOURNAL OF THE MECHANICS AND PHYSICS OF SOLIDS, 173. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmps.2023.105218
- Stretchable Organic Transistor Based Pressure Sensor Employing a Porous Elastomer Gate Dielectric
- Song, R., Ren, P., Liu, Y., Zhu, Y., Dong, J., & Brendan T. O'Connor. (2023, April 28), ADVANCED MATERIALS TECHNOLOGIES, Vol. 4. https://doi.org/10.1002/admt.202202140
- Surface Adatom Diffusion-Assisted Dislocation Nucleation in Metal Nanowires
- He, L., Cheng, G., Zhu, Y., & Park, H. S. (2023), NANO LETTERS, 23(12), 5779–5784. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.nanolett.3c01660
- Ultrasound Characterization of Cortical Bone Using Shannon Entropy
- Karbalaeisadegh, Y., Yao, S., Zhu, Y., Grimal, Q., & Muller, M. (2023), ULTRASOUND IN MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY, 49(8), 1824–1829. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2023.04.006
- Multifunctional Leaf Wearable Sensor for Continous Plant Physiology Monitoring
- SCH: A Personalized Wearable Rehabilitation Sensing System for Stroke Survivors
- A Wearable Sensing System for Continuous Assessment of Outcomes of Orthotic Hand Users in Real-World Settings
- PFI-TT: Stretchable Strain Sensors for Real-Time Joint Angle Tracking in Sports
- FMRG: Future Eco Manufacturing of Soft Electronics
- Development of an In-Situ Testing Laboratory for Research and Education of Very High Temperature Reactor Materials
- Plant-Aid: A Data Driven and Sensor Integrated Platform to Monitor Emerging Plant Diseases
- Cover-2: Safety-as-a-Service
- Collaborative Research: Investigating the Strain-Rate and Time-Dependent Plasticity and Mechanical Properties of Metal Nanowires
- Collaborative Research: Strength and Brittle-to-Ductile Transition of Silicon Nanowires at Elevated Temperatures