Samuel P. Langley Distinguished Professor
- Phone: (919) 515-5947
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: Engineering Building III (EB3) 3306
Dr. Yuan’s long-term goal is to create new and unique innovations in the area of smart structures and to bring these advances into the classroom.
At the graduate level, Dr. Yuan teaches Structural Health Monitoring (MAE 589). This class exposes students to state-of-the-art sensors and signal processing methods for in in-situ, continual monitoring of the health of structural systems.
At the undergraduate level, Dr. Yuan teaches the Bio-flight option of Aerospace Senior Design (MAE 478 and 479). In this year-long course, students study the different flight principles of birds. They select the feature(s) that can best be translated into human flight, and then build working prototype aircraft that utilize the selected feature(s). The class is also unique in that it brings in the latest research in bio-flight, in particular, understanding of bi-flight resulting from recent studies, and new methods of actuation and sensing tailored to aircraft morphing.
In his research, Dr. Yuan looks for graduate students with a multi-disciplinary background. He trains his students to methodically solve challenging technical problems and his students are drawn to Dr. Yuan’s research, in large part, because his research involves making advancements to multi-disciplinary problems that are both challenging and of high societal impact.
Outside of work, Dr. Yuan enjoys travel and chatting with students and friends.
- A defect localization method based on self-sensing and orthogonal matching pursuit
- Gao, Y., Mu, W., Yuan, F.-G., & Liu, G. (2023), ULTRASONICS, 128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultras.2022.106889
- Impact damage imaging for composite structures using guided wave techniques with 3D digital image correlation
- Abbott, T. B., & Yuan, F.-G. (2023), SENSORS AND SMART STRUCTURES TECHNOLOGIES FOR CIVIL, MECHANICAL, AND AEROSPACE SYSTEMS 2023, Vol. 12486. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2659161
- Scalable and portable computational framework enabling online probabilistic remaining useful life (RUL) estimation
- Lyathakula, K. R., & Yuan, F.-G. (2023), ADVANCES IN ENGINEERING SOFTWARE, 181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2023.103461
- Subsurface impact damage imaging for composite structures using 3D digital image correlation
- Abbott, T. B., & Yuan, F.-G. (2023, May 19), STRUCTURAL HEALTH MONITORING-AN INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL. https://doi.org/10.1177/14759217231172297
- Vibration-based hidden damage imaging using stereo cameras with digital image correlation
- Wang, S., Abbott, T. B., Fong, R.-Y., Xu, C., & Yuan, F.-G. (2023, August 30), STRUCTURAL HEALTH MONITORING-AN INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL, Vol. 8. https://doi.org/10.1177/14759217231191102
- Combined resonance of pulsatile flow-transporting FG nanotubes under forced excitation with movable boundary
- Jin, Q., Ren, Y., & Yuan, F.-G. (2022, December 20), NONLINEAR DYNAMICS. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11071-022-08148-1
- Development of Viscoelastic Damper Based on NBR and Organic Small-Molecule Composites
- Ge, T., Xu, Z.-D., & Yuan, F.-G. (2022), JOURNAL OF MATERIALS IN CIVIL ENGINEERING, 34(8). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0004339
- Fatigue Damage Diagnostics-Prognostics Framework for Remaining Life Estimation in Adhesive Joints
- Lyathakula, K. R., & Yuan, F.-G. (2022, May 10), AIAA JOURNAL, Vol. 5. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J060979
- Hidden damage visualization using laser speckle photometry
- Welzen, J., Yuan, F. G., & Fong, R. Y. (2022), NDT & E INTERNATIONAL, 131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ndteint.2022.102700
- Phase estimation via riesz transform in laser speckle interferometry for large-area damage imaging
- Fong, R.-Y., & Yuan, F.-G. (2022), NDT & E INTERNATIONAL, 132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ndteint.2022.102711
- Investigation of Dual Functionalities of SMAs for Autonomous Truss Modules
- Structural Health Monitoring of Persistent Platforms using SMAs
- Augmented Analysis and Data Collection for Design & Evaluation
- Samuel P. Langley Distinguished Professor Program ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ FY21
- Visualization of Hidden Damage in Composites from Full-Field Vibration Measurement Using a Stereo High-Speed Camera System
- Multifunctional Boron Nitride Nanotube (BNNT) Materials and Applications for Structural Health Monitoring
- Multifunctional Boron Nitride Nanotube (BNNT) Materials and Applications (Dongwon Lee)
- NIA Graduate Research Assistantship for Mr. Dongwon Lee - Investigating the Structural and Mechanical Properties of Boron Nitride Nanotubes and their Polymer Nanocomposites
- Augmented Analysis and Data Collection for Materials Design and Evaluation
- Structural Health Monitoring of Persistent Platforms