Samuel P. Langley Distinguished Professor
- Phone: (919) 515-5947
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: Engineering Building III (EB3) 3306
Dr. Yuan’s long-term goal is to create new and unique innovations in the area of smart structures and to bring these advances into the classroom.
At the graduate level, Dr. Yuan teaches Structural Health Monitoring (MAE 589). This class exposes students to state-of-the-art sensors and signal processing methods for in in-situ, continual monitoring of the health of structural systems.
At the undergraduate level, Dr. Yuan teaches the Bio-flight option of Aerospace Senior Design (MAE 478 and 479). In this year-long course, students study the different flight principles of birds. They select the feature(s) that can best be translated into human flight, and then build working prototype aircraft that utilize the selected feature(s). The class is also unique in that it brings in the latest research in bio-flight, in particular, understanding of bi-flight resulting from recent studies, and new methods of actuation and sensing tailored to aircraft morphing.
In his research, Dr. Yuan looks for graduate students with a multi-disciplinary background. He trains his students to methodically solve challenging technical problems and his students are drawn to Dr. Yuan’s research, in large part, because his research involves making advancements to multi-disciplinary problems that are both challenging and of high societal impact.
Outside of work, Dr. Yuan enjoys travel and chatting with students and friends.
- Development of Viscoelastic Damper Based on NBR and Organic Small-Molecule Composites
- Ge, T., Xu, Z.-D., & Yuan, F.-G. (2022), JOURNAL OF MATERIALS IN CIVIL ENGINEERING. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0004339
- Fatigue Damage Diagnostics-Prognostics Framework for Remaining Life Estimation in Adhesive Joints
- Lyathakula, K. R., & Yuan, F.-G. (2022, May 10), AIAA JOURNAL. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J060979
- Hidden damage visualization using laser speckle photometry
- Welzen, J., Yuan, F. G., & Fong, R. Y. (2022), NDT & E INTERNATIONAL. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ndteint.2022.102700
- Predictive Model of Dynamic Mechanical Properties of VE Damper Based on Acrylic Rubber-Graphene Oxide Composites Considering Aging Damage
- Ge, T., Xu, Z.-D., & Yuan, F.-G. (2022), JOURNAL OF AEROSPACE ENGINEERING. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)AS.1943-5525.0001385
- A probabilistic fatigue life prediction for adhesively bonded joints via ANNs-based hybrid model
- Lyathakula, K. R., & Yuan, F.-G. (2021), INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF FATIGUE. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2021.106352
- An In-situ Real-time Hidden Damage Inspection on C-17 Globemaster III Composite Aileron using LSP Technique under Thermal Excitation
- Fong, R.-Y., & Yuan, F.-G. (2021), SENSORS AND SMART STRUCTURES TECHNOLOGIES FOR CIVIL, MECHANICAL, AND AEROSPACE SYSTEMS 2021. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2585247
- Augmented reality for enhanced visual inspection through knowledge-based deep learning
- Wang, S., Zargar, S. A., & Yuan, F.-G. (2021), STRUCTURAL HEALTH MONITORING-AN INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL, 20(1), 426–442. https://doi.org/10.1177/1475921720976986
- Comparison of Image Correlation Algorithms for Hidden Damage Laser Speckle Photometry
- Welzen, J., Yuan, F. G., & Fong, R. Y. (2021), SENSORS AND SMART STRUCTURES TECHNOLOGIES FOR CIVIL, MECHANICAL, AND AEROSPACE SYSTEMS 2021. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2585921
- Fatigue Damage Prognosis of Adhesively Bonded Joints via a Surrogate Model
- Lyathakula, K. R. R., & Yuan, F.-G. (2021), SENSORS AND SMART STRUCTURES TECHNOLOGIES FOR CIVIL, MECHANICAL, AND AEROSPACE SYSTEMS 2021. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2585280
- Probabilistic Fatigue Life Prediction for Adhesively Bonded Joints via Surrogate Model
- Lyathakula, K. R., & Yuan, F.-G. (2021), SENSORS AND SMART STRUCTURES TECHNOLOGIES FOR CIVIL, MECHANICAL, AND AEROSPACE SYSTEMS 2021. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2585281
- Investigation of Dual Functionalities of SMAs for Autonomous Truss Modules
- Structural Health Monitoring of Persistent Platforms using SMAs
- Augmented Analysis and Data Collection for Design & Evaluation
- Samuel P. Langley Distinguished Professor Program ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ FY21
- Visualization of Hidden Damage in Composites from Full-Field Vibration Measurement Using a Stereo High-Speed Camera System
- Multifunctional Boron Nitride Nanotube (BNNT) Materials and Applications for Structural Health Monitoring
- Multifunctional Boron Nitride Nanotube (BNNT) Materials and Applications (Dongwon Lee)
- NIA Graduate Research Assistantship for Mr. Dongwon Lee - Investigating the Structural and Mechanical Properties of Boron Nitride Nanotubes and their Polymer Nanocomposites
- Augmented Analysis and Data Collection for Materials Design and Evaluation
- Structural Health Monitoring of Persistent Platforms