- Engineering Building III (EB3) 3292
- Visit My Website
Dr. Venhat Narayanaswamy is interested in scramjet propulsion, laser diagnostics, and combustion. Prior to joining NC State, he was a Postdoctoral Research Associate at UT Austin and RWTH Aachen, Germany. Dr. Narayanaswamy’s long term vision is contributing to the development of next-generation clean and efficient propulsion technologies.
Outside research, Dr. Narayanaswamy is interested in nature photography.
University of Texas at Austin
Indian Institute of Technology Madras
Dr. Narayanaswamy's research interest focuses on turbulent shear flows, which have common occurrences in several propulsion devices, where he performs laser-based experiments to understand the complex flow interactions that result in several undesirable phenomena like base drag, jet noise, flow separation, and pollutant emissions. He also develops novel plasma-based flow actuators that exploit the non-linear interactions in turbulent flowfield to effect base drag reduction, noise suppression, etc. In the long term, he envisions that these actuators will be integrated into the future propulsion systems.
Honors and Awards
- ASEE Summer Faculty Fellowship, 2016
- AFOSR Young Investigator (YIP) Award, 2016
- WPAFB Summer Visiting Faculty, 2015
- Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, Invited paper on "Low Frequency Unsteadiness Mechanisms in Shock Boundary Layer Interactions", 2014
- NASA Langley Summer Visiting Faculty, 2013
- Compression ramp induced shock-wave/turbulent boundary-layer interactions on a compliant material
- Pham, H. T., Gianikos, Z. N., & Narayanaswamy, V. (2018), AIAA Journal, 56(7), 2925-2929.
- Gas density field imaging in shock dominated flows using planar laser scattering
- Pickles, J. D., Mettu, B. R., Subbareddy, P. K., & Narayanaswamy, V. (2018), Experiments in Fluids, 59(7).
- Composition-independent mean temperature measurements in laminar diffusion flames using spectral lineshape information
- Zelenak, D., & Narayanaswamy, V. (2017), Experiments in Fluids, 58(10).
- Experimental investigation of primary and corner shock boundary layer interactions at mild back pressure ratios
- Funderburk, M., & Narayanaswamy, V. (2016), Physics of Fluids (Woodbury, N.Y.), 28(8).
- Collisional broadening of Kr (4p(6) S-0(1) -> -> 5p [3/2](2)) transition with combustion species as collision partners
- Zelenak, D., Sealy, W., & Narayanaswamy, V. (2016), Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy & Radiative Transfer, 174, 28-38.
- Low-frequency unsteadiness of shock wave/turbulent boundary layer interactions
- Clemens, N. T., & Narayanaswamy, V. (2014), Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, 46, 469-492.
- Scalar gradient trajectory measurements using high-frequency cinematographic planar Rayleigh scattering
- Gampert, M., Narayanaswamy, V., & Peters, N. (2013), Experiments in Fluids, 54(12).
- Simultaneous LII and PIV measurements in the soot formation region of turbulent non-premixed jet flames
- Narayanaswamy, V., & Clemens, N. T. (2013), Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 34, 1455-1463.
- Acquisition of high-frequency pressure sensitive paint system to investigate shock boundary layer interactions over cylindrical surfaces
- US Army - Army Research Office(8/15/17 - 8/14/18)
- Advanced Augmentor Ignition Modelling Tools
- US Dept. of Defense (DOD)(6/29/17 - 12/27/17)
- INLET ISOLATOR AND COMBUSTOR PHYSICS AT TAKE-OVER REGION OF SCRAMJET ENGINES
- US Air Force - Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR)(12/15/16 - 6/14/19)
- Investigation of Shock Interactions with Distorted Boundary Layers for Precision Munition Applications
- US Army - Army Research Office(5/01/16 - 11/30/18)
- Investigation of Shock Boundary Layer Interactions to Unravel the Physics of Unstart in Axisymmetric Inlets
- US Air Force - Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR)(9/30/16 - 9/29/19)
- RESEARCH AREA 1: MECHANICAL SCIENCES, 1.4 Propulsion and Energetics Investigations of Turbulent Lifted Flame Stabilization in Heated and Vitiated Coflows
- US Army - Army Research Office(4/01/16 - 10/31/18)
- Composition-independent Temperature and Pressure Imaging of Gaseous Combustion Using Spectral Lineshape Information
- US Air Force - Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR)(2/15/16 - 2/14/18)
- Experimental Investigation of Dynamic Flow Interactions in Shock-Induced Separated Corner Boundary Layers
- US Air Force - Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR)(9/30/15 - 9/29/16)
- Composition-Independent Thermometry Technique for Gaseous Combustion
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(6/01/15 - 5/31/19)
- WAKE MEDIATED COUPLING IN OSCILLATING HYDROFOIL TURBINE ARRAYS
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(8/01/15 - 7/31/19)