- Phone: (919) 515-5263
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: Engineering Building III (EB3) 3252
- Website: https://www.energyx-lab.com/
Dr. Sajjad Bigham is an associate professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at North Carolina State University. Prior to joining NC State, he was the Lou and Herbert Wacker Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics at Michigan Tech University. He received his Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Florida. He is the director of the Energy-X Lab (Energy eXploration Laboratory) at NC State University.
He is a heat transfer and energy systems specialist interested in scientific and engineering challenges that lay at the intersection of thermal-fluid, material, and energy sciences. Our lab, Energy-X (www.energyX-lab.com), is focused on understanding the fundamental transport science of important energy carriers at micro, nano, and molecular scales. We design, fabricate, and examine a wide range of meso-, micro-, and nano-devices/systems to understand their underlying physics and explore new technologies and performance breakthroughs.
Energy-X mission: Energy-X is a research group that specializes in energy science and technology. The increasing global demand for energy has stimulated intense research on energy conversion and storage systems. The mission of our lab is to improve energy efficiency, reliability, and economy of the process, component, or system X; with X being our target technological area which spans from the energy sector to defense and environmental applications.
- Heat Transfer and Thermal Management
- Thermal Energy Systems
- Multiphase Flows and Phase-change Phenomena
- Physics of Boiling and Condensation Heat Transfer at Microscale
- Interfacial Transport Phenomena at Extreme Temperatures and Pressures
- HVAC&R Systems
- Desalination Systems
- Micro- and Nano-engineered Materials
- Energy Conversion and Storage Devices
- A high-performance lung-inspired ceramic 3D-printed heat exchanger for high-temperature energy-efficient systems
- Ahmadi, B., Cesarano, J., Nawaz, K., Ninos, N., & Bigham, S. (2023), APPLIED THERMAL ENGINEERING, 219. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2022.119378
- Porous-fin microchannel heat sinks for future micro-electronics cooling
- Fathi, M., Heyhat, M. M., Targhi, M. Z., & Bigham, S. (2023), INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER, 202. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2022.123662