- Engineering Building III (EB3) 3284
- Visit My Website
Dr. Pankow is interested in composite materials and materials subjected to high rates of loading, including blast and ballistic performance.
Dr. Pankow has taught MAE 214, 371, 472, 537 and 589. His research focuses on materials in extreme environments. His prospective graduate students need to be self-motivated, have some background in experimental work (not be afraid to get their hands dirty), and be solid in analysis, too.
Outside of work, Dr. Pankow enjoys mountain biking and rock climbing.
Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU): Composites for Extreme Environments
University of Michigan
University of Michigan
California Polytechnic State University
Dr. Pankow's long-term goal is to contribute to the advancement of our understanding of high impact bio-mechanics with an emphasis on the mechanical effects on the skull-brain system. Dr. Pankow is presently studying the underlying failure mechanisms in blast loading on composite materials. This study is being performed experimentally and is drawing its data largely from high-speed image capture of blast samples. The results can be applied to blast resistant structures (aircraft, buildings, etc). He is also currently studying blast structure-human interaction. This study examines the effects of shock-wave loading on skull-brain systems that vary in their mechanical properties. This research is aimed at applications that reduce the risks of traumatic brain injury.
- Interaction of delaminations and matrix cracks in a CFRP plate, Part I: A test method for model validation
- McElroy, M., Jackson, W., Olsson, R., Hellstrom, P., Tsampas, S., & Pankow, M. (2017), Composites. Part A, Applied Science and Manufacturing, 103, 314-326.
- Interaction of delaminations and matrix cracks in a CFRP plate, Part II: Simulation using an enriched shell finite element model
- McElroy, M. W., Gutkin, R., & Pankow, M. (2017), Composites. Part A, Applied Science and Manufacturing, 103, 252-262.
- High-speed 3D digital image correlation of low-velocity impacts on composite plates
- Flores, M., Mollenhauer, D., Runatunga, V., Beberniss, T., Rapking, D., & Pankow, M. (2017), Composites. Part B, Engineering, 131, 153-164.
- Composition and structure of porcine digital flexor tendon-bone insertion tissues
- Chandrasekaran, S., Pankow, M., Peters, K., & Huang, H. Y. S. (2017), Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part A, 105(11), 3050-3058.
- A spectral profile multiplexed FBG sensor network with application to strain measurement in a Kevlar woven fabric
- Guo, G. D., Hackney, D., Pankow, M., & Peters, K. (2017), In Sensors and smart structures technologies for civil, mechanical, and aerospace systems 2017. (Proceedings of SPIE-the International Society for Optical Engineering, 10168).
- Interrogation of a spectral profile division multiplexed FBG sensor network using a modified particle swarm optimization method
- Guo, G. D., Hackney, D., Pankow, M., & Peters, K. (2017), Measurement Science & Technology, 28(5).
- Dynamic polarization microscopy for in-situ measurements of collagen fiber realignment during impact
- Wu, X. Y., Huang, H. Y. S., Pankow, M., & Peters, K. (2017), In Mechanics of biological systems and materials, vol 6. (Conference Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics Series, ) (pp. 61-66).
- Modeling of 3D woven composites using the digital element approach for accurate prediction of kinking under compressive loads
- Joglekar, S., & Pankow, M. (2017), Composite Structures, 160, 547-559.
- Exploring how optimal composite design is influenced by model fidelity and multiple objectives
- Joglekar, S., Von Hagel, K., Pankow, M., & Ferguson, S. (2017), Composite Structures, 160, 964-975.
- Split Hopkinson bar measurement using high-speed full-spectrum fiber Bragg grating interrogation
- Seng, F., Hackney, D., Goode, T., Shumway, L., Hammond, A., Shoemaker, G., Pankow, M., Peters, K., & Schultz, S. (2016), Applied Optics, 55(25), 7179-7185.
- NWI Core Project: Micro-mechanics of Thermal Nonwoven Bonds via Micro Digital Image Correlation
- NCSU Nonwovens Institute(8/16/17 - 12/31/20)
- TSA Testing of UHMWPE for Chesapeake
- Chesapeake Testing (6/01/17 - 10/11/17)
- Multi-Lens Array, PEC Enhancement Project
- Oculus(3/01/17 - 12/31/18)
- Spectral Profile Multiplexing of FBG Sensors to Enable Low-Power Optical Sensor Networks
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(9/01/15 - 8/31/18)
- High Repetition-Rate Shape Sensing Using Fiber Bragg Gratings (HISS)
- US Dept. of Defense (DOD)(9/09/15 - 9/08/18)
- REU Site: Summer Internships in Composites for Extreme Performance
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(2/01/15 - 1/31/18)
- Development of Tethered Cubesat Program
- NCSU NC Space Grant Consortium(4/01/14 - 2/01/15)
- Dynamic Structure-Property Evolution at the Tendon-to-Bone Insertions
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(5/15/14 - 4/30/18)