Director of iSSRL: Intelligent Structures and Systems Research Lab
- Engineering Building III (EB3) 3407
- Visit My Website
Dr. Bryant is interested in a multidisciplinary approach that combines smart materials, dynamical systems, and fluid-structure interaction phenomena to create novel systems for energy harvesting, sensing, and actuation.
In addition to research and teaching, Dr. Bryant enjoys outdoor activities including fishing, hiking, kayaking, and nature photography.
Dr. Bryant's research seeks novel solutions and new devices that contribute to the advancement of emerging technologies in areas including ambient energy harvesting, fluid-structure interaction, and robot actuation and mobility. His work emphasizes a multi-disciplinary approach and encompasses both experimental and theoretical investigations. Of particular interest are applications that incorporate smart or adaptive materials and structures, as well as be bio-inspired designs. He is currently working on (1) energy harvesting from piezoelectric structures that driven by fluid-induced vibration or flutter instabilities, (2) aerodynamics of flapping and oscillating wings, (3) development of self-powered sensing/actuation systems, and (4) bio-inspired artificial muscles for robotics and prostheses. At the graduate level, Dr. Bryant plans to teach a course in smart materials systems. This course will introduce students to modeling, analysis, design, and applications of smart materials systems with applications to piezoelectrics, shape memory alloys, and electroactive polymers.
- Aeroelastic-photovoltaic ribbons for integrated wind and solar energy harvesting
- Chatterjee, P., & Bryant, M. (2018), Smart Materials & Structures, 27(8).
- Bioinspired passive variable recruitment of fluidic artificial muscles
- Chapman, E. M., & Bryant, M. (2018), JOURNAL OF INTELLIGENT MATERIAL SYSTEMS AND STRUCTURES, 29(15), 3067–3081. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X18783070
- Control design in cyber-physical fluid-structure interaction experiments
- Waghela, R., Bryant, M., & Wu, F. (2018), JOURNAL OF FLUIDS AND STRUCTURES, 82, 86–100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2018.06.018
- Design and analysis of electrohydraulic pressure systems for variable recruitment in fluidic artificial muscles
- Chapman, E. M., Jenkins, T., & Bryant, M. (2018), SMART MATERIALS AND STRUCTURES, 27(10). https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-665X/aadbff
- Design and demonstration of a seabird-inspired fixed-wing hybrid UAV-UUV system
- Stewart, W., Weisler, W., MacLeod, M., Powers, T., Defreitas, A., Gritter, R., … Bryant, M. (2018), BIOINSPIRATION & BIOMIMETICS, 13(5). https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-3190/aad48b
- Model-based feedforward and cascade control of hydraulic McKibben muscles
- Meller, M., Kogan, B., Bryant, M., & Garcia, E. (2018), Sensors and Actuators. A, Physical, 275, 88–98.
- Testing and Characterization of a Fixed Wing Cross-Domain Unmanned Vehicle Operating in Aerial and Underwater Environments
- Weisler, W., Stewart, W., Anderson, M. B., Peters, K. J., Gopalarathnam, A., & Bryant, M. (2018), IEEE JOURNAL OF OCEANIC ENGINEERING, 43(4), 969–982. https://doi.org/10.1109/JOE.2017.2742798
- Control design for high-fidelity cyber-physical systems with applications to experimental fluid-structure interaction studies
- Waghela, R., & Bryant, M. (2017), In Proceedings of the asme conference on smart materials adaptive.
- Dynamic modeling, analysis, and testing of a variable buoyancy system for unmanned multidomain vehicles
- MacLeod, M., & Bryant, M. (2017), IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, 42(3), 511–521.
- Structured identification of reduced-order models of power systems in a differential-algebraic form
- Nabavi, S., & Chakrabortty, A. (2017), IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 32(1), 198–207.
- Autonomous Sensing Platforms for Subterranean Mapping and Monitoring
- US Army - Army Research Office(4/01/18 - 2/28/19)
- Design, Fabrication and Testing of Smart Material Carrier Basket Arrays (smCBAs) for Automated Analysis of 3D Cell Cultures
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)(5/04/18 - 10/31/18)
- Aerodynamic and Aeroelastic Behavior of Wings in the Presence of Upstream Vortical and Viscous Disturbances
- US Air Force - Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR)(7/01/17 - 6/30/19)
- Aerodynamic Forces on Slender Body in Supersonic Cavity
- Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL)(7/09/16 - 9/30/19)
- Vortex-Enhanced Flow Energy Extraction through Wake Interactions
- NCSU Faculty Research & Professional Development Fund(7/01/15 - 6/30/16)
- Control Approach Development for Variable Recruitment Artificial Muscles
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)(1/01/15 - 8/31/15)
- WAKE MEDIATED COUPLING IN OSCILLATING HYDROFOIL TURBINE ARRAYS
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(8/01/15 - 7/31/19)
- Angelfish: Initial Planning and Project Management
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)(6/19/14 - 1/31/16)
- Shape-Shifting Robots for Safety and Versatility
- NCSU Faculty Research & Professional Development Fund(7/01/14 - 12/31/14)
- INTEGRATED STRUCTURES FOR MULTIMODE AMBIENT ENERGY HARVESTING
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(8/01/14 - 1/31/18)