- Engineering Building III (EB3) 3314
Dr. Granlund is interested in unsteady experimental fluid mechanics, vortex dynamics and flow control.
The graduate students working under his direction are curious, motivated, and open to new ideas. A large part of research is to combine knowledge from several disciplines to solve difficult problems in easier ways. Dr. Granlund’s role as an advisor is to point students in the right direction and away from pitfalls while they train to become independent researchers.
Outside of work, Dr. Granlund enjoy hiking, bicycling and spending time with family outdoors.
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Royal Institute of Technology (Sweden)
Dr. Granlund's long term goal is to gain a deeper understanding of separated unsteady, separated flows and develop physics-based low-order force models for maneuvering and control of air vehicles. Unsteady fluid mechanics exist in in several different areas such as helicopter rotor aerodynamics, wind turbines, Micro Air Vehicle flapping flight, high-rate maneuvering conventional aircraft, where the object is unsteady, as well as gusting air with unsteady inflow. In many of these research problems, the freestream has rarely been varied; it is usually assumed to be constant and uniform. Dr. Granlund's research expands the knowledge of how streamwise velocity fluctuations affect "standard" unsteady fluid dynamic problems.
- Leading-edge flow criticality as a governing factor in leading-edge vortex initiation in unsteady airfoil flows
- Ramesh, K. and Granlund, K. and Ol, M. V. and Gopalarathnam, A. and Edwards, J. R. (2018), Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics, 32(2), 109-136.
- Experiments and computations on the lift of accelerating flat plates at incidence
- Stevens, P. R. R. J. and Babinsky, H. and Manar, F. and Mancini, P. and Jones, A. R. and Nakata, T. and Phillips, N. and Bomphrey, R. J. and Gozukara, A. C. and Granlund, K. O. and Ol, M. V. (2017), AIAA Journal, 55(10), 3255-3265.
- Non-linearity of apparent mass for multi-element bodies
- Granlund K., Ol M. and L., Bernal (2016), AIAA Journal, 54(2), 771-776.
- Streamwise oscillation of airfoils into reverse flow
- Granlund, K. O. and Ol, M. V. and Jones, A. R. (2016), AIAA Journal, 54(5), 1628-1636.
- Unsteady aerodynamic characteristics of a translating rigid wing at low Reynolds number
- Mancini P., Manar and F., A Jones A. and Granlund, K. and Ol, M. (2015), Physics of Fluids (Woodbury, N.Y.), 27(123102), .
- Unsteady aerodynamic response of a rapidly started flexible wing
- Mancini P., A Jones A. and Granlund, K. and Ol, M. (2015), International Journal of Micro Air Vehicles, 7(2), 147-158.
- Airfoil longitudinal gust response in separated vs. attached flows
- Granlund, K. and Monnier, B. Ol and , M. and Williams, D. (2014), Physics of Fluids (Woodbury, N.Y.), 26(027103), .
- Discrete-vortex method with novel shedding criterion for unsteady aerofoil flows with intermittent leading-edge vortex shedding
- Ramesh, K. and Gopalarathnam, A. and Granlund, K. and Ol, M. and Edwards, J. (2014), Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 751(), .
- Effect of root cutout on force coefficients of rotating wings
- Schlueter K., Jones A. and Granlund K., and M., Ol (2014), AIAA Journal, 52(6), 1322-1325.
- Free-to-pivot flat plates in hover for Reynolds numbers 14 to 21,200
- Granlund, K. and Ol, M. and Bernal, L. (2014), AIAA Journal, 52(9), .
- Vortex dynamics around pitching plates
- Jantzen R., Taira K. and Granlund K., and M., Ol (2014), Physics of Fluids (Woodbury, N.Y.), 26(053606), .
- Experiments on free-to-pivot hover motions of flat plates
- Granlund, K. and Ol, M. and Bernal, L. (2013), Journal of Fluids and Structures, 40(), 337-355.
- Unsteady pitching flat plates
- Granlund, K. and Ol, M. and Bernal, L. (2013), Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 733(), .
- Unsteady force generation and vortex dynamics of pitching and plunging airfoils
- Baik, Y. and Bernal, L. and Granlund, K. and Ol, M. (2012), Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 709(), 37-68.
- An unsteady airfoil theory applied to pitching motions validated against experiment and computation
- Ramesh, K. and Gopalarathnam, A. and Edwards, J. and Ol, M. and Granlund, K. (2012), Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics, (), .
- Lift cancellation of pitch-plunge airfoil motions at low Reynolds numbers
- McGowan, G. and Granlund, K. and Gopalarathnam, A. and Ol, M. and Edwards, J. (2011), AIAA Journal, 49(7), 1511-1541.
- Aerodynamic Forces on Slender Body in Supersonic Cavity
- Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL)(7/09/16 - 9/30/19)