Angel Family Professor, Director of Aerospace Research
- Phone: (919) 515-5264
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: Engineering Building III (EB3) 3294
Dr. Edwards’ long-term goal is to develop efficient and accurate computational fluid dynamics (CFD) techniques for conducting large scale simulations of complex flows for important engineering problems.
At the graduate level, Dr. Edwards teaches Computation of Reacting Flows (MAE 770). This course is concerned with the general principles for formulating and solving the governing equations of reactive flows and multi-phase flows. He treats a wide range of problems in this course ranging from those in the atmospheric sciences to water flow in home faucets.
At the undergraduate level, he teaches Aerodynamics II (MAE 356) and Computational Aerodynamics (MAE 456). In Aerodynamics II, Dr. Edwards places a strong emphasis on developing good practices in computer coding. In his Computational Aerodynamics course, he brings in examples that he has encountered in his own work pertaining to the physics of high-speed flows. The students who work with Dr. Edwards are drawn to his area of research because of the versatility of the CFD tool in all areas of engineering leading to work opportunities in government/industry labs. His students tend to have strong skills in communication, math, and computer programming.
Outside of work, Dr. Edwards enjoys spending time with his family, playing guitar, and ice hockey (as a spectator).
- Numerical simulation of stable and unstable ram-mode operation of an axisymmetric ethylene-fueled inlet-isolator-combustor configuration
- Hash, C. A., Drummond, P. M., Edwards, J. R., Kato, N., & Lee, T. (2022), COMBUSTION AND FLAME. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2022.112157
- Flow criticality governs leading-edge-vortex initiation on finite wings in unsteady flow
- Hirato, Y., Shen, M., Gopalarathnam, A., & Edwards, J. R. (2021), JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS, 910. https://doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2020.896
- Hybrid Large Eddy Simulation/Reynolds-Averaged Navier-Stokes Analysis of a Premixed Ethylene-Fueled Dual-Mode Scramjet Combustor
- Nielsen, T. B., Edwards, J. R., Chelliah, H. K., Lieber, D., Geipel, C., Goyne, C. P., … Cutler, A. D. (2021), AIAA JOURNAL. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J059343
- Are poly(p-phenylene terephthalamide) (Kevlar (R)) and other liquid crystalline polymers conformationally rigid?
- Tonelli, A. E., & Edwards, J. F. (2020), POLYMER, 193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2020.122342
- Mesh-Sequenced Realizations for Evaluation of Subgrid-Scale Models for Turbulent Combustion
- Edwards, J. R., & Nielsen, T. B. (2020), AIAA JOURNAL, 58(11), 4878–4892. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J059217
- Variation of leading-edge suction during stall for unsteady aerofoil motions
- Narsipur, S., Hosangadi, P., Gopalarathnam, A., & Edwards, J. R. (2020), JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS, 900. https://doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2020.467
- Least Squares Minimization Closure Models for LES of Turbulent Combustion
- Patton, C. H., & Edwards, J. R. (2019), FLOW TURBULENCE AND COMBUSTION, 102(3), 699–733. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10494-018-9968-5
- Low-Order Model for Prediction of Trailing-Edge Separation in Unsteady Flow
- Narsipur, S., Gopalarathnam, A., & Edwards, J. R. (2019), AIAA JOURNAL, 57(1), 191–207. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J057132
- Numerical Simulation of Two-Phase Flow Within Aerated-Liquid Injectors
- Bornhoft, B. J., Edwards, J. R., & Lin, K.-C. (2019), JOURNAL OF PROPULSION AND POWER, 35(6), 1034–1047. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.B37284
- Reflections on the early development of the "AUSM family" of Riemann solvers
- Edwards, J. R. (2019). [Review of , ]. SHOCK WAVES, 29(5), 601–609. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00193-018-0863-8
- NCSU American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Design Build Fly 2021-2022
- Computational Fluid Dynamics Analysis of a Microchamber for Sampling SVOC Emissions
- Analysis and Modeling Strategies for Subgrid Turbulence / Chemistry Interactions in High Speed Flows (Paige Drummond)
- 2020-2021 AIAA Design-Build-Fly Team Space Grant Proposal
- Scale-Resolving Numerical Simulation of Reactive, Two Phase Flows in Hypersonic Propulsion Designs ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ Part II
- Investigations of Self Starting Streamtraced Inlets at Off-Design Conditions
- High-Fidelity Numerical Simulations of Inlet / Isolator / Combustor Interactions
- Numerical Simulation of Effervescent Atomization of Salt Water
- Tailored Supersonic Flowfields
- 2019-2020 AIAA Design-Build-Fly Team Space Grant Proposal