- Engineering Building III (EB3) 3288
- Visit My Website
Dr. Perkins joined the faculty at NC State in 2020 after spending four years as an assistant professor at Auburn University. Dr. Perkins’ research is focused on nonlinear dynamics, stochastic dynamics, information dynamics, robotics, and vibrations. Dr. Perkins received the Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award (2019) and the DARPA Young Faculty Award (2020).
Outside of work, Dr. Perkins enjoys playing the piano, biking, and reading
University of Maryland-College Park
University of Oklahoma
University of Oklahoma
There are several on-going research projects in our lab. 1) We are working on topology optimization methods to engineer nonlinearities into continuous systems to enhance their dynamics in the presence of noise. 2) By fabricating biomimetic robots, we want to study the role of reservoir computing in the control of biological systems. 3) Adaptive oscillators are a type of nonlinear oscillator that can encode information in its states. We want to exploit this phenomenon to create smart systems. 4) To promote undergraduate research and engagement with the public, the lab also has a music-focused research track to explore the nonlinear vibrations of musical instruments.
Honors and Awards
- DARPA Young Faculty Award, 2020
- Mark A. Spencer Creative Mentorship Award, 2020
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award, 2019
- Sloan Scholars Mentoring Network Seed Grant, 2019
- AFOSR Air Force Summer Faculty Fellow, 2019
- ASME’s Haythornthwaite Research Initiation Grant, 2017
- Ford Foundation Fellow, 2011
- Sloan Minority PhD Program Scholar, 2010
- Choctaw Nation for Higher Education Scholar, 2001
- Flexible Tensegrity Reservoir Computing Robots
- Perkins, E. (2021). , . Presented at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency Young Faculty Award Virtual Poster Exhibition.
- 3D Printed MEMS-Scale Vibration Isolators
- Bond, A., Bottenfield, B. D., Dean, R. N., Adams, M. L., Zhao, J., Li, X. F., … Perkins, E. (2020), Volume 7A: Dynamics, Vibration, and Control. Presented at the ASME 2020 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition. https://doi.org/10.1115/imece2020-24357
- A Neural NARX Network Controller for a Pneumatic Artificial Muscle Driven Translational System
- Mollik, T., & Perkins, E. (2020). , . Presented at the IMECE 2020: American Society of Mechanical Engineers International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition.
- Additively Manufactured 2D Truss Demonstration"
- Crifasi, D., Roy, C., & Perkins, E. (2020). , . Presented at the 2020 American Society for Engineering Education Southeast Section Conference, Auburn, AL.
- Approximating an Exactly Solvable Chaotic Oscillator Using a Colpitts Oscillator Circuit
- Rhea, B. K., Harrison, R. C., Werner, F. T., Perkins, E., & Dean, R. N. (2020), IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, 68(3), 1–1. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSII.2020.3024147
- Asphaltophones: Modeling, analysis, and experiment
- Tucker, A., & Perkins, E. (2020), The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 148(1), 236–242. https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0001575
- Cover Art
- Tucker, A., & Perkins, E. (2020), Journal of Acoustical Society of America, 148(1). Retrieved from https://asa.scitation.org/action/showLargeCover?doi=10.1121%2Fjas.2020.148.issue-1
- Dynamics of a Linkage Mechanism Using Sample Entropy
- Marghitu, D., & Perkins, E. (2020), In N. Dumitru, N. Craciunoiu, & A. S. Rosca (Eds.), Achievements and solutions in mechanical engineering II : selected, peer reviewed papers from the 5th International Conference of Mechanical Engineering (ICOME) 2019, October 24-25, 2019, Craiova, Romania (pp. 67–74). https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.896.67
- Frequency Characterization of Thigh Soft Tissue Artifact During a Relaxed and Activated State
- Carpenter, S., Zabala, M., Perkins, E., Larson, J., & Marino, A. (2020). , . Presented at the 44th Meeting of the American Society of Biomechanics.
- Stochastic Response of Hopf Adaptive Frequency Oscillator
- Li, X. F., Shougat, M. R. E. U., Fendley, C., Dean, R., & Perkins, E. (2020), 10th European Nonlinear Dynamics Conference. (Accepted).