- Engineering Building III (EB3) 3160
- Visit My Website
Dr. Ngaile’s long-term goal is to contribute to the dramatic reduction of the use of toxins in metal forming lubricants.
At the undergraduate level, Dr. Ngaile teaches Modern Manufacturing Processes (MAE 495M) and Mechanical Engineering Design (MAE 416). In his manufacturing course, the students receive a hands-on introduction to modern manufacturing processes. Dr. Ngaile conveys his own experiences in manufacturing and takes the students on a tour of a manufacturing plant. In his design course, Dr. Ngaile places an emphasis on the general features of the design processes addressing issues that go beyond the design project being completed that semester.
Dr. Ngaile teaches Materials Processing by Deformation (MAE 731), which exposes the students to a wide range of metal forming processes including state-of-the-art techniques, and he teaches Applied Finite Element Method (MAE 589). In his applied finite element course, the focus is on developing the capability to solve a wide range of problems involving solids, thermal, fluids, and vibration. In MAE he collaborates with Dr. Fang.
Dr. Ngaile’s graduate students have a strong interest in solid mechanics. They gain experiences with numerical modeling of metal forming processes and hands-on experiences with machine design.
Outside of work, Dr. Ngaile enjoys to travel.
University of Dar Es Salaam
Dr. Ngaile is interested in design and manufacturing, tribology in manufacturing, modeling and optimization of manufacturing processes, material characterization, and finite element analysis. Dr. Ngaile is developing new formulations of metal forming lubricants, and is studying how to tailor metal forming processes to minimize the quantity of toxic-rich lubricants needed in these processes. Also, he is studying the influence of ultrasonic vibration on microforming processes.
- High injection pressure diesel sprays from a piezoelectric fuel injector
- Wang, L., Lowrie, J., Ngaile, G., & Fang, T. (2019), APPLIED THERMAL ENGINEERING, 152, 807–824. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2019.02.095
- Investigation of energy storage in bolted joint components and the development of a geometry selection design tool for Belleville washers
- Carcaterra, B., & Ngaile, G. (2019), ENGINEERING STRUCTURES, 178, 436–443. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.10.049
- Scalability of conventional tube hydroforming processes from macro to micro/meso
- Lowrie, J., & Ngaile, G. (2018), PROCEEDINGS OF THE INSTITUTION OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS PART B-JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING MANUFACTURE, 232(12), 2164–2177. https://doi.org/10.1177/0954405416683736
- A A novel hybrid heating method for mechanical testing of miniature specimens at elevated temperature
- Li, L., Ngaile, G., & Hassan, T. (2017), Journal of Micro and Nano-Manufacturing, 5(2). https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4035954
- Weight reduction of heavy-duty truck components through hollow geometry and intensive quenching
- Lowrie, J., Pang, H., & Ngaile, G. (2017), Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 28, 523–530. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmapro.2017.04.021
- A A novel hybrid heating method for elevated temperature mechanical testing of miniature specimens
- Li, L., Ngaile, G., & Hassan, T. (2016), In Proceedings of the ASME 11th International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, 2016, vol 1. https://doi.org/10.1115/msec2016-8852
- Analytical modeling of hydrodynamic lubrication in a multiple-reduction drawing die
- Lowrie, J., & Ngaile, G. (2016), In 44th north american manufacturing research conference, namrc 44 (Vol. 5, pp. 707–723). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.promfg.2016.08.058
- New punch design for the elimination of punch ejection load through manipulation of the elastic strain field in the punch nose
- Lowrie, J., & Ngaile, G. (2016), Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 22, 49–59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmapro.2016.01.008
- Preliminary investigation of the process capabilities of hydroforging
- Alzahrani, B., & Ngaile, G. (2016), Materials, 9(1). https://doi.org/10.3390/ma9010040
- Die-less hydroforming of multi-lobe tubular structures
- Hummel, S., & Ngaile, G. (2015), Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part B, Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 229(3), 435–452. https://doi.org/10.1177/0954405414528166
- Increasing Participation of U.S. Students to the 3rd World Congress on Micro-Nano Manufacturing (WCMNM); Raleigh NC, 10-12 September 2019
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(4/01/19 - 3/31/20)
- Enhancing Tool Life by Manipulating Punch & Die Elastic Strain Field during Forging
- Forging Industry Educational and Research Foundation (FIERF)(7/15/18 - 1/14/20)
- Advancements towards ASME nuclear code case for compact heat exchangers
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(10/01/17 - 9/30/20)
- Development of a Manufacturing Process for High-Power-Density Hollow Shafts
- FIA (Forging Industry Association)(7/15/16 - 5/01/19)
- North Carolina Consortium for Manufacturing Data Science (NC-CMDS)
- University of North Carolina System Office (formerly UNC - General Administration)(8/01/16 - 6/30/17)
- Optimization of DuraForce Fastening System via Numerical Modeling
- DuraForce Fastener Systems, LLC (5/16/16 - 5/30/17)
- ASME Code Application of the Compact Heat Exchanger for High Temperature Nuclear Service
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(10/01/16 - 9/30/20)
- Novel Multi-Functional Hybrid Drawing Process (Area: Material Processes)
- US Army - Army Research Office(6/20/16 - 11/19/19)
- Study on Weight Reduction of Forged Parts Used in Heavy-Duty Truck Vehicles via Innovative Forging Techniques and Material Substitution
- Forging Industry Educational and Research Foundation (FIERF)(10/12/15 - 5/31/17)
- Study on Weight Reduction of Forged Parts Used in Light-and Heavy-Duty Truck Vehicles via Innovative Forging Techniques and Material Substitution
- Forging Industry Educational and Research Foundation (FIERF)(11/30/-1 - 5/31/17)