- Engineering Building III (EB3) 3160
- Visit My Website
Dr. Ngaile’s long-term goal is to contribute to the dramatic reduction of the use of toxins in metal forming lubricants.
At the undergraduate level, Dr. Ngaile teaches Modern Manufacturing Processes (MAE 495M) and Mechanical Engineering Design (MAE 416). In his manufacturing course, the students receive a hands-on introduction to modern manufacturing processes. Dr. Ngaile conveys his own experiences in manufacturing and takes the students on a tour of a manufacturing plant. In his design course, Dr. Ngaile places an emphasis on the general features of the design processes addressing issues that go beyond the design project being completed that semester.
Dr. Ngaile teaches Materials Processing by Deformation (MAE 731), which exposes the students to a wide range of metal forming processes including state-of-the-art techniques, and he teaches Applied Finite Element Method (MAE 589). In his applied finite element course, the focus is on developing the capability to solve a wide range of problems involving solids, thermal, fluids, and vibration. In MAE he collaborates with Dr. Fang.
Dr. Ngaile’s graduate students have a strong interest in solid mechanics. They gain experiences with numerical modeling of metal forming processes and hands-on experiences with machine design.
Outside of work, Dr. Ngaile enjoys to travel.
University of Dar Es Salaam
Dr. Ngaile is interested in design and manufacturing, tribology in manufacturing, modeling and optimization of manufacturing processes, material characterization, and finite element analysis. Dr. Ngaile is developing new formulations of metal forming lubricants, and is studying how to tailor metal forming processes to minimize the quantity of toxic-rich lubricants needed in these processes. Also, he is studying the influence of ultrasonic vibration on microforming processes.
- A novel hybrid heating method for mechanical testing of miniature specimens at elevated temperature
- Li, L., Ngaile, G., & Hassan, T. (2017), Journal of Micro and Nano-Manufacturing, 5(2).
- A novel hybrid heating method for elevated temperature mechanical testing of miniature specimens
- Li, L., Ngaile, G., & Hassan, T. (2016), (Proceedings of the ASME 11th International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, 2016, vol 1, ).
- Analytical modeling of hydrodynamic lubrication in a multiple-reduction drawing die
- Lowrie, J., & Ngaile, G. (2016), In 44th north american manufacturing research conference, namrc 44. (Procedia Manufacturing, 5) (pp. 707-723).
- New punch design for the elimination of punch ejection load through manipulation of the elastic strain field in the punch nose
- Lowrie, J., & Ngaile, G. (2016), Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 22, 49-59.
- Preliminary investigation of the process capabilities of hydroforging
- Alzahrani, B., & Ngaile, G. (2016), Materials, 9(1).
- Novel extrusion punch design for improved lubrication and punch ejection
- Lowrie, J., & Ngaile, G. (2015), (Proceedings of the ASME 10th International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, 2015, vol 1, ).
- Die-less hydroforming of multi-lobe tubular structures
- Hummel, S., & Ngaile, G. (2015), Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part B, Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 229(3), 435-452.
- Enhancement of tribological performance via innovative tooling design for extrusion processes
- Lowrie, J. B., Ngaile, G. (2014), (Proceedings of the ASME 9th International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, 2014, vol 2, ).
- Development of chemically produced hydrogen energy-based impact bonding process for dissimilar metals
- Ngaile, G., Lohr, P., Lowrie, J., Modlin, R. (2014), Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 16(4), 518-526.
- Optimal load path input in tube hydroforming machines
- Ngaile, G., & Welch, G. (2012), Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part B, Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 226(B4), 694-707.
- Development of a Manufacturing Process for High-Power-Density Hollow Shafts
- FIA (Forging Industry Association)(7/15/16 - 7/14/18)
- Optimization of DuraForce Fastening System via Numerical Modeling
- DuraForce Fastener Systems, LLC (5/16/16 - 12/31/16)
- ASME Code Application of the Compact Heat Exchanger for High Temperature Nuclear Service
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(10/01/16 - 9/30/19)
- Novel Multi-Functional Hybrid Drawing Process (Area: Material Processes)
- US Army - Army Research Office(6/20/16 - 2/19/17)
- Study on Weight Reduction of Forged Parts Used in Heavy-Duty Truck Vehicles via Innovative Forging Techniques and Material Substitution
- Forging Industry Educational and Research Foundation (FIERF)(10/12/15 - 12/31/16)
- Study on Weight Reduction of Forged Parts Used in Light-and Heavy-Duty Truck Vehicles via Innovative Forging Techniques and Material Substitution
- Forging Industry Educational and Research Foundation (FIERF)(11/30/-1 - 12/31/16)
- Reactive Supersonic Diesel Jets Under Extreme High Injection Pressure
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(8/01/14 - 1/31/16)
- Increasing Participation of U.S. Students to the 9th International Conference on Micro-Manufacturing (ICOMM 2014); Singapore, 25-28 March 2014
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(10/01/13 - 6/30/16)
- Parametric Study of a New Fastening System Via Numerical Analysis
- Allied Industrial Corp.(5/15/13 - 12/31/13)
- MRI: Development of a Miniature, High Temperature, Multiaxial Testing System for Advanced Materials and Engineering Research
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(8/15/13 - 7/31/17)