- Engineering Building III (EB3) 3160
- Visit My Website
Dr. Ngaile’s long-term goal is to contribute to the dramatic reduction of the use of toxins in metal forming lubricants.
At the undergraduate level, Dr. Ngaile teaches Modern Manufacturing Processes (MAE 495M) and Mechanical Engineering Design (MAE 416). In his manufacturing course, the students receive a hands-on introduction to modern manufacturing processes. Dr. Ngaile conveys his own experiences in manufacturing and takes the students on a tour of a manufacturing plant. In his design course, Dr. Ngaile places an emphasis on the general features of the design processes addressing issues that go beyond the design project being completed that semester.
Dr. Ngaile teaches Materials Processing by Deformation (MAE 731), which exposes the students to a wide range of metal forming processes including state-of-the-art techniques, and he teaches Applied Finite Element Method (MAE 589). In his applied finite element course, the focus is on developing the capability to solve a wide range of problems involving solids, thermal, fluids, and vibration. In MAE he collaborates with Dr. Fang.
Dr. Ngaile’s graduate students have a strong interest in solid mechanics. They gain experiences with numerical modeling of metal forming processes and hands-on experiences with machine design.
Outside of work, Dr. Ngaile enjoys to travel.
University of Dar Es Salaam
Dr. Ngaile is interested in design and manufacturing, tribology in manufacturing, modeling and optimization of manufacturing processes, material characterization, and finite element analysis. Dr. Ngaile is developing new formulations of metal forming lubricants, and is studying how to tailor metal forming processes to minimize the quantity of toxic-rich lubricants needed in these processes. Also, he is studying the influence of ultrasonic vibration on microforming processes.
- A novel gripper for multiaxial mechanical testing of microtubes at elevated temperatures
- Li, L., Chan, Y.-C., Ngaile, G., & Hassan, T. (2020), REVIEW OF SCIENTIFIC INSTRUMENTS, 91(5). https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0007150
- Formulation of SiO2/oil nanolubricant for metal forming using hydrodynamic cavitation
- Pang, H., & Ngaile, G. (2020), PROCEEDINGS OF THE INSTITUTION OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS PART B-JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING MANUFACTURE. https://doi.org/10.1177/0954405420933120
- Development of a non-isothermal forging process for hollow power transmission shafts
- Pang, H., & Ngaile, G. (2019), JOURNAL OF MANUFACTURING PROCESSES, 47, 22–31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmapro.2019.08.034
- Development of scanning electron microscope-compatible multiaxial miniature testing system
- Rahman, F., Ngaile, G., & Hassan, T. (2019), MEASUREMENT SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, 30(10). https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6501/ab1ca6
- High injection pressure diesel sprays from a piezoelectric fuel injector
- Wang, L., Lowrie, J., Ngaile, G., & Fang, T. (2019), APPLIED THERMAL ENGINEERING, 152, 807–824. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2019.02.095
- Investigation of energy storage in bolted joint components and the development of a geometry selection design tool for Belleville washers
- Carcaterra, B., & Ngaile, G. (2019), ENGINEERING STRUCTURES, 178, 436–443. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.10.049
- Development of a Non-isothermal Forging Process for Hollow Power Transmission Shafts
- Pang, H., & Ngaile, G. (2018), Procedia Manufacturing, 26, 1509–1516. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.PROMFG.2018.07.087
- Punch design for floating based micro-tube hydroforming die assembly
- Ngaile, G., & Lowrie, J. (2018), Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 253, 168–177. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JMATPROTEC.2017.10.049
- Scalability of conventional tube hydroforming processes from macro to micro/meso
- Lowrie, J., & Ngaile, G. (2018), PROCEEDINGS OF THE INSTITUTION OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS PART B-JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING MANUFACTURE, 232(12), 2164–2177. https://doi.org/10.1177/0954405416683736
- A novel hybrid heating method for mechanical testing of miniature specimens at elevated temperature
- Li, L., Ngaile, G., & Hassan, T. (2017), Journal of Micro and Nano-Manufacturing, 5(2). https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4035954
- Dynamic Digital Twin for Enhancing Forging Part Quality and Control
- Forging Industry Educational and Research Foundation (FIERF)(7/15/20 - 1/14/22)
- MRI: Acquisition of a Large High-Temperature Vacuum Press for Advanced Materials Research, Manufacturing and Training at NC State University
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(8/01/20 - 7/31/23)
- Development of an In-Situ Testing Laboratory for Research and Education of Very High Temperature Reactor Materials
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(10/01/20 - 9/30/21)
- Increasing Participation of U.S. Students to the 3rd World Congress on Micro-Nano Manufacturing (WCMNM); Raleigh NC, 10-12 September 2019
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(4/01/19 - 3/31/20)
- Enhancing Tool Life by Manipulating Punch & Die Elastic Strain Field during Forging
- Forging Industry Educational and Research Foundation (FIERF)(7/15/18 - 12/31/20)
- Advancements towards ASME nuclear code case for compact heat exchangers
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(10/01/17 - 12/31/20)
- Development of a Manufacturing Process for High-Power-Density Hollow Shafts
- FIA (Forging Industry Association)(7/15/16 - 5/01/19)
- North Carolina Consortium for Manufacturing Data Science (NC-CMDS)
- University of North Carolina System Office (formerly UNC - General Administration)(8/01/16 - 6/30/17)
- Optimization of DuraForce Fastening System via Numerical Modeling
- DuraForce Fastener Systems, LLC (5/16/16 - 5/30/17)
- ASME Code Application of the Compact Heat Exchanger for High Temperature Nuclear Service
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE)(10/01/16 - 9/30/21)