- Engineering Building III (EB3) 3254
- Visit My Website
Dr. Wu’s long-term goal is to play an important role in the development of robust and nonlinear control theory. A major roadblock in the development of robust and nonlinear control theory is solvability (computation) and so his work focuses largely on solvability.
Dr. Wu teaches Nonlinear System Analysis and Control (MAE 522). This is a first-year graduate-level course that introduces students to the interesting nonlinear behavior and the corresponding control strategies, like Liapunov stability theory, feedback linearization, and sliding mode control. He also teaches Robust Control with Convex methods (MAE 721). This is an advanced course that goes beyond linear theory to provide modern tools that enhance robustness when the system is not completely known.
At the undergraduate level, Dr. Wu teaches Dynamics of Machines (MAE 315) and Principles of Automatic Control (MAE 435). In both of these courses, Dr. Wu’s major emphasis to the students is that we are dealing with systems and, as such, that they obey systematic methods.
Dr. Wu’s students are theoretically oriented, self-motivated, and work independently. He tends to give them a lot of freedom in their research direction. His students enjoy the subject, among the different reasons, because of its unique blend of mathematics and engineering.
Outside of work, Dr. Wu spends time with his family and enjoys travel.
University of California at Berkeley
Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Dr. Wu is interested in control theory, robust analysis and control, gain-scheduling control design and implementation, model approximation, structure and control interaction analysis, and the application of advanced control and optimization techniques to aerospace, mechanical and chemical engineering problems. Presently, he is working on fault detection algorithms that improve the safety of hypersonic vehicles (for NASA), and the development of computationally efficient algorithms for nonlinear systems that have polynomial nonlinearities. Within MAE he collaborates with Dr. Buckner and Dr. Yuan.
- H-infinity observer-controller synthesis approach in low frequency for T-S fuzzy systems
- Xie, W.-B., Han, Z.-K., Wu, F., & Zhu, S. (2020), IET CONTROL THEORY AND APPLICATIONS, 14(5), 738–749. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-cta.2019.0242
- Convexified H-infinity output-feedback consensus synthesis for linear multi-agent systems
- Xue, X., Yuan, C., & Wu, F. (2019), IET CONTROL THEORY AND APPLICATIONS, 13(11), 1619–1628. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-cta.2018.5337
- Iterative-Learning-Control-Based Tracking for Asteroid Close-Proximity Operations
- Long, J., & Wu, F. (2019), JOURNAL OF GUIDANCE CONTROL AND DYNAMICS, 42(5), 1195–1203. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.G003884
- New Controllability Conditions for Networked, Identical LTI Systems
- Hao, Y., Duan, Z., Chen, G., & Wu, F. (2019), IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON AUTOMATIC CONTROL, 64(10), 4223–4228. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2019.2893899
- Robust consensus for linear multi-agent systems with structured uncertainties
- Xue, X., Wu, F., & Yuan, C. (2019), INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF CONTROL. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207179.2019.1612096
- Special issue on advanced analysis and control design of switching linear parameter-varying systems and its applications
- Zhu, Y., Wu, F., Karimi, H. R., & Lu, B. (2019), PROCEEDINGS OF THE INSTITUTION OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS PART I-JOURNAL OF SYSTEMS AND CONTROL ENGINEERING, 233(1), 3–4. https://doi.org/10.1177/0959651818819594
- Almost output regulation of LFT systems via gain-scheduling control
- Yuan, C. Z., Duan, C., & Wu, F. (2018), International Journal of Control, 91(5), 1161–1170. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207179.2017.1309573
- Control design in cyber-physical fluid-structure interaction experiments
- Waghela, R., Bryant, M., & Wu, F. (2018), JOURNAL OF FLUIDS AND STRUCTURES, 82, 86–100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2018.06.018
- Cooperative output regulation of multi-agent systems with switched leader dynamics
- Yuan, C. Z., & Wu, F. (2018), International Journal of Systems Science, 49(7), 1463–1477. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207721.2018.1454537
- Cooperative state estimation of multi-agent systems subject to bounded external disturbances
- Yuan, C., & Wu, F. (2018), International Journal of Systems Science, 49(9), 1985–1996. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207721.2018.1482380
- Advanced Switching Control Techniques For Switched Systems Subject to Physical Constraints
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(6/01/12 - 8/31/16)
- Developing High Performance, Computationally Efficient Nonlinear Control Techniques For Polynomial Nonlinear Systems
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(6/01/08 - 5/31/12)
- Reconfigurable Robust Gain-Scheduled Control for Air-Breathing Hypersonic Vehicles
- National Aeronautics & Space Administration (NASA)(1/05/07 - 12/31/11)
- Developing Nonlinear Optimal and Robust Control Techniques for Space Exploration
- NCSU NC Space Grant Consortium(7/01/06 - 6/30/07)