Dr. Chengying “Cheryl” Xu’s research focuses on high temperature sensing materials, smart ceramic composites, and artificial intelligence for process modeling. Dr. Xu is active in conducting research in the field of materials and advanced manufacturing and has attracted a high level of research funding. She joined in NC State University in 2018. She was an Assistant and Associate Professor at the University of Central Florida (2007-2013) and was an Associate Professor at Florida State University (2014-2018). She co-authored a textbook (Intelligent Systems: Modeling, Optimization and Control, CRC Press, 2008) and published four book chapters. Dr. Xu chaired the 1st NSF National Wireless Research Collaboration Workshop in 2015 and serves as an Associate Editor of ASME Transactions, Journal of Micro- and Nano- Manufacturing since 2015.
Dr. Xu’s research interests are in both emerging new technologies (such as additive manufacturing, human-robotic interface and artificial intelligence directed manufacturing, etc.) and new materials (such as metal matrix composites, ceramic matrix composites, nanostructured materials, etc.). Her research effectively integrates these technologies and materials into applicable devices for industry, universities, and the federal government, with specific focuses on the following aspects:
- Research and development of novel materials with desirable structures/functionalities;
- Developing practical manufacturing processes to transform new materials into engineering components and devices;
- Understanding the fundamental physics and chemistry of advanced manufacturing processes;
- Integrating artificial intelligence/machine learning into manufacturing processes.
Mechanical Manufacturing and Automation
Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Honors and Awards
- Office of Naval Research (ONR), Young Investigator Award, 2011
- Society of Mechanical Engineers (SME), Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award, 2011
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Education Society, Teaching Award, 2015
- Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), Summer Faculty Fellowship, 2018
- Oak Ridge Associated University Visiting Industrial Scholar Award, 2008
- University, Research Incentive Award, University of Central Florida, 2013
- University, Teaching Incentive Award, University of Central Florida, 2012
- College, Research Excellence Award, Florida State University, 2017
- A hybrid ceramic-polymer composite fabricated by co-curing lay-up process for a strong bonding and enhanced transient thermal protection
- Ju, L., Yang, J., Hao, A., Daniel, J., Morales, J., Nguyen, S., … Xu, C. (2018), Ceramics International, 44(10), 11497–11504. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2018.03.211
- Wireless Temperature Sensor for High Temperature Environments (up to 1000C) using RF Techniques with 0.5 meter Sensing Distance
- Xu, C., & Daniel, J. (2018). , . Presented at the 41th Annual Conference on Composites, Materials, and Structures, Cocoa beach, FL.
- Effect of Processing Conditions on Electric and Dielectric Properties of Polymer-Derived SiC Ceramics
- Xu, C., & Wang, K. (2017). , . Pittsburgh, PA: Materials Science & Technology.
- Enhanced cyclic oxidation resistance through the self-healing of segmented cracks using nano-Al
2O 3/Ni-20 wt%Al particles in laser re-melted thermal barrier coatings
- Fan, Z., Wang, K., Dong, X., Wang, R., Duan, W., Mei, X., … Xu, C. (2017), Materials Letters, 201, 156–160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2017.04.116
- Intelligent Systems: Modeling, Optimization and Control
- Shin, Y. C., & Xu, C. (2008). , . Intelligent Systems: Modeling, Optimization, and Control (pp. 1–433). CRC Press, Taylor & Francis. https://doi.org/10.1201/9781420051773
- Metamaterial Enabling RF Transparency – Ceramic Composite Design for High Temperature Application
- Macdonald, J., & Xu, C. (2017). , . Presented at the National Space and Missile Materials Symposium, CA.
- Non-Destructive Testing of Composite Materials at High Temperature (2000oC)
- Xu, C., & Peebles, J. (2017). , . Presented at the Material Measurements Working Group, Dayton, OH.
- Pearl-Chain Formation of Discontinuous Carbon Fiber Under Electrical Field
- Daniel, J., Ju, L., Yang, J., Sun, X., Gupta, N., Schrand, A., & Xu, C. (2017), Journal of Manufacturing and Materials Processing, 1(2), 22. https://doi.org/10.3390/jmmp1020022
- Study of Chip Morphology and Chip Formation Mechanism during Machining of Magnesium-Based Metal Matrix Composites
- Davis, B., Dabrow, D., Ju, L., Li, A., Xu, C., & Huang, Y. (2017), Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Transactions of the ASME, 139(9). https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4037182
- Study of chip morphology and chip formation mechanism during machining of magnesium-based metal matrix composites
- Davis, B., Dabrow, D., Ju, L., Li, A., Xu, C., & Huang, Y. (2017), ASME 2017 12th International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, MSEC 2017 Collocated with the JSME/ASME 2017 6th International Conference on Materials and Processing, 2. https://doi.org/10.1115/MSEC2017-3052
- A Hybrid Multi-functional Composite Material by Co-curing Lay-up Process for Enhanced Thermal/Chemical Stability and Surface Durability
- US Navy-Office Of Naval Research(11/01/18 - 2/28/20)