Associate Teaching Professor
- Phone: (919) 515-3025
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: Engineering Building III (EB3) 3276
My main collaborations in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering are within the MAE Undergraduate program. I most frequently teach MAE 315 Dynamics of Machines, MAE 415 Mechanical Engineering Design I and MAE 416 Mechanical Engineering Design II.
In MAE 315 the students conduct two special team projects that emphasize real-world problems. One is a 2 degree-of-freedom vibration isolation problem and the other is a suspension system for aircraft landing gear.
In MAE 415, which is the first course in a year-long sequence of capstone senior design, I emphasize presentation and report writing skills. The students create individual feasible designs and through optimization develop a final design for their teams. The students are trained in machining, fabricating and welding. Team work is most essential in this course.
In MAE 416, which is the final course in a year-long sequence of capstone senior design, the students continue to refine presentation and report writing skills. The constructed prototypes will be presented to the sponsors on senior days. Team work is most essential in this course.
- Gender comparison in consistency in the basketball free throw by an event-driven approach
- Silverberg, L. M., Tran, C. M., & Laue, C. (2018), SPORTS ENGINEERING, 21(4), 333–340. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12283-018-0276-z
- Optimal Targets for the Bank Shot in Mens Basketball
- Silverberg, L. M., Tran, C. M., & Adams, T. M. (2011), Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports, 7(1). https://doi.org/10.2202/1559-0410.1299
- Optimal release conditions for the free throw in men's basketball
- Tran, C. M., & Silverberg, L. M. (2008), Journal of Sports Sciences, 26(11), 1147–1155. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640410802004948
- A sensor placement strategy for the hybrid adaptive feedforward observer
- Tran, C. M., & Southward, S. C. (2006), Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, 128(2), 449–452. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2196421
- Basic experiments in PID control for engineers
- , . (2005). Boston : Pearson/Custom Publishing.
- Numerical analysis of the basketball shot
- Silverberg, L. M., Tran, C., & Adcock, K. (2003), Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, 125(4), 531–540. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1636193
- Stability and convergence of a hybrid adaptive feedforward observer
- Tran, C. M., & Southward, S. C. (2003), Journal of Guidance Control and Dynamics, 26(1), 189–192. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.5036
- A Virtual Sensing method for tonal ANVC systems
- Tran, C. M., & Southward, S. C. (2002), Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, 124(1), 35–40. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1435642
- CTL Grading Display Positioner, Senior Design Project 2022-2023
- Excavator Progressive Thumb Linkage
- Zurn, Academic Year 2019-2020, Senior Design Project
- Capstone Senior Design Project - Small Track-Type Tractor Idler Height Adjustment
- Caterpillar, Spring 2019 Senior Design Project
- Zurn, Spring 2019 Senior Design Project
- Design and Delivery of HMT Half Shaft Prototype
- Development of a clutch mechanism for squirrel cage windturbine