- Engineering Building III (EB3) HB107
Dr. Hall is interested in aircraft design, flight testing, airworthiness, dynamics and control. He directs the undergraduate capstone senior aircraft design courses MAE 478 and MAE 479. The students are given a set of customer requirements and as teams they generate a design, construct their design, ground test and flight test their aircraft.
In these classes and his research, his team has flight tested over 70 UAS-type aircraft.
Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering
Ohio State University
Ohio State University
Dr. Hall directs the Flight Research Group in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. The Flight Research Group is involved primarily with UAS/UAV/RPV aircraft but some programs have involved general aviation and C-130 aircraft. Past projects include 1) studying airworthiness criteria for small UAS's (NAVAIR), 2) enhancement of the aerodynamic database for the full scale F/A-18E based on a 17.5% scaled F/A-18E/F RPV test flights, and 3) flight testing of the use of microjet vortex generators.
- Power-required flight testing of unmanned aerial systems using non-steady-state flight
- Soltmann, L. M., & Hall, C. E. (2017), Journal of Aircraft, 54(3), 1162-1171.
- Development and testing of a passive variable-pitch propeller
- Heinzen, S. B., Hall, C. E., & Gopalarathnam, A. (2015), Journal of Aircraft, 52(3), 748-763.
- Correlation of population density to designated urban areas
- Southwell, J. T., Hall, C. E., & Burke, D. A. (2013), Journal of Aerospace Information Systems, 10(1), 40-46.
- system-level airworthiness tool
- Burke, D. A., Hall, C. E., & Cook, S. P. (2011), (Journal of Aircraft, 48 3) (pp. 777-785).
- Flight test of stable automated cruise flap for an adaptive wing aircraft
- Cox, C., Gopalarathnam, A., & Hall, C. E. (2010), Journal of Aircraft, 47(4), 1178-1188.
- Development of stable automated cruise flap for an aircraft with adaptive wing
- Cox, C., Gopalarathnam, A., & Hall, C. E. (2009), (Journal of Aircraft, 46 1) (pp. 301-311).
- NASA Student Launch Initiative Competition - $5,000 (Team)
- NCSU NC Space Grant Consortium(11/15/16 - 6/15/17)
- Senior Design to support NASA Student Launch Initiative - $3,000 (Design)
- NCSU NC Space Grant Consortium(11/15/16 - 11/15/17)
- AUVSI Student UAS Competition - $5,000 (Team)
- NCSU NC Space Grant Consortium(11/15/16 - 7/15/17)
- NC Space Grant Team Competition & Senior Design Project FY 2015-2016
- NCSU NC Space Grant Consortium(11/01/15 - 6/01/16)
- Risk Based Airworthiness Certification Workshop
- MITRE Corporation(9/01/15 - 11/30/15)
- NC Space Grant Team Competition FY 2014-2015
- NCSU NC Space Grant Consortium(11/01/14 - 6/30/15)
- Aerial Robotics Club
- NCSU NC Space Grant Consortium(1/01/14 - 9/30/14)
- Development of Small-Scale Aerospace Vehicles
- NCSU NC Space Grant Consortium(10/01/12 - 6/30/13)
- Subscale Flying Wing With Bias Momentum Attitude Stiffening
- National Aeronautics & Space Administration (NASA)(10/06/08 - 12/31/12)
- Investigations of Airworthiness Certification Improvements for U.S. Navy Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- US Navy - Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR)(1/31/08 - 8/31/11)