- Engineering Building III (EB3) 3240
- Visit My Website
Dr. Chang is interested in multifunctional nanostructured materials and nanomanufacturing.
I arrived at NC State in the fall of 2011 and plan on teaching such undergraduate classes as MAE 435 Principles of Automatic Control and MAE 314 Mechanics of Materials. At the graduate level I am considering a number of new courses, possibly one that addresses recent advances in optical engineering and one concerning recent developments in nano-manufacturing.
The graduate students working under my direction are motivated, and tend to have a strong background in physics. I am open to ideas that come from students – the intent is to maintain an energetic and creative environment to foster the advancements. The area of research is exciting, in part, because it brings in nanotechnology as a way to address the critical problems in solar energy, recognizing that important barriers exist at these small-scales – the same scales as the optical wave lengths that we are harvesting. This is one of the important areas where engineering and energy need to be focused!
Outside of work, I enjoy jogging, basketball, and fishing.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Georgia Institute of Technology
My long term goal is to integrate concentrating solar systems into components that operate at the nano, micro, and macro scales. Presently, I am 1) developing nano-structural glass that has anti-glare, transmission enhanced, self-cleaning, and anti-fogging properties, 2) 3D nano-lithography that uses self-assembled nano-particles, and 3) nano-structured diffractive optics to reduce reflection losses. In MAE, I collaborate with Dr. Zhu and Dr. O'Connor.
- Twin photonic nanojets generated from coherent illumination of microscale sphere and cylinder
- Poteet, A., Zhang, X. A., Nagai, H., & Chang, C. H. (2018), Nanotechnology, 29(7).
- Patterned nano-domains in PMN-PT single crystals
- Chang, W. Y., Chung, C. C., Yuan, Z. Y., Chang, C. H., Tian, J., Viehland, D., Li, J. F., Jones, J. L., & Jiang, X. N. (2018), Acta Materialia, 143, 166-173.
- Enhanced total internal reflection using low-index nanolattice materials
- Zhang, X. A., Chen, Y. A., Bagal, A., & Chang, C. H. (2017), Optics Letters, 42(20), 4123-4126.
- Nanostructured antireflective in-plane solar harvester
- Tippens, J., Bagal, A., Zhang, X. A., & Chang, C. H. (2017), Optics Express, 25(16), A840-A850.
- Large-area nanolattice film with enhanced modulus, hardness, and energy dissipation
- Bagal, A., Zhang, X. A., Shahrin, R., Dandley, E. C., Zhao, J. J., Poblete, F. R., Oldham, C. J., Zhu, Y., Parsons, G. N., Bobko, C., & Chang, C. H. (2017), Scientific Reports, 7.
- Wicking enhancement in three-dimensional hierarchical nanostructures
- Wang, Z. T., Zhao, J. J., Bagal, A., Dandley, E. C., Oldham, C. J., Fang, T. G., Parsons, G. N., & Chang, C. H. (2016), Langmuir, 32(32), 8029-8033.
- Fabrication and structural properties of AlN submicron periodic lateral polar structures and waveguides for UV-C applications
- Alden, D., Guo, W., Kirste, R., Kaess, F., Bryan, I., Troha, T., Bagal, A., Reddy, P., Hernandez-Balderrama, L. H., Franke, A., Mita, S., Chang, C. H., Hoffmann, A., Zgonik, M., Collazo, R., & Sitar, Z. (2016), Applied Physics Letters, 108(26).
- Fabrication and design of metal nano-accordion structures using atomic layer deposition and interference lithography
- Min, J. H., Bagal, A., Mundy, J. Z., Oldham, C. J., Wu, B. I., Parsons, G. N., & Chang, C. H. (2016), Nanoscale, 8(9), 4984-4990.
- Designing unit cell in three-dimensional periodic nanostructures using colloidal lithography
- Min, J. H., Zhang, X. A., & Chang, C. H. (2016), Optics Express, 24(2), A276-A284.
- Ordered 3d thin-shell nanolattice materials with near-unity refractive indices
- Zhang, X. A., Bagal, A., Dandley, E. C., Zhao, J. J., Oldham, C. J., Wu, B. I., Parsons, G. N., & Chang, C. H. (2015), Advanced Functional Materials, 25(42), 6644-6649.
- Plasma Processing of Sapphire Nanostructures for Low-Loss Multilayer Composites
- US Army - Army Research Office(10/09/17 - 7/08/18)
- Hexagonal boron nitride nanosheets for advanced nanoscale electronics and radiation shielding
- University Global Partnership Network (UGPN)(8/01/16 - 7/31/17)
- Enhancing Optical Transmission of Multilayer Composites with Interfacial Nanostructures
- US Army - Army Research Office(5/20/16 - 2/19/17)
- CAREER: Three-Dimensional Nanolithography with Inexpensive Hardware
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(6/01/16 - 5/31/21)
- Surface and Domain Nano-Engineering of Relaxor Single Crystal for Acoustic Sensors
- US Dept. of Defense (DOD)(6/01/15 - 8/31/18)
- Tunable Nanostructures with Dynamic Optical Properties
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)(4/06/15 - 4/05/18)
- Electromagnetic (EM) Properties of Ultra-Low Density 3D Shell-Like Materials
- Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL)(9/09/14 - 9/08/15)
- Probing the Nanomechanics of Engineered Three-Dimensional Nanostructures
- NCSU Faculty Research & Professional Development Fund(7/01/14 - 6/30/15)
- Integrating Three-Dimensional Nanoporous Medium in Microfluidic Devices for Synthetic Biological Systems
- Oak Ridge Associated Universities(6/01/13 - 5/31/14)
- Nanoenabled Dry Adhesives
- NCSU Advanced Self Powered Systems of Sensors and Technologies (ASSIST) Center(9/01/12 - 8/31/14)