- Engineering Building III (EB3) 3240
- Visit My Website
Dr. Chang is interested in multifunctional nanostructured materials and nanomanufacturing.
I arrived at NC State in the fall of 2011 and plan on teaching such undergraduate classes as MAE 435 Principles of Automatic Control and MAE 314 Mechanics of Materials. At the graduate level I am considering a number of new courses, possibly one that addresses recent advances in optical engineering and one concerning recent developments in nano-manufacturing.
The graduate students working under my direction are motivated, and tend to have a strong background in physics. I am open to ideas that come from students – the intent is to maintain an energetic and creative environment to foster the advancements. The area of research is exciting, in part, because it brings in nanotechnology as a way to address the critical problems in solar energy, recognizing that important barriers exist at these small-scales – the same scales as the optical wave lengths that we are harvesting. This is one of the important areas where engineering and energy need to be focused!
Outside of work, I enjoy jogging, basketball, and fishing.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Georgia Institute of Technology
My long term goal is to integrate concentrating solar systems into components that operate at the nano, micro, and macro scales. Presently, I am 1) developing nano-structural glass that has anti-glare, transmission enhanced, self-cleaning, and anti-fogging properties, 2) 3D nano-lithography that uses self-assembled nano-particles, and 3) nano-structured diffractive optics to reduce reflection losses. In MAE, I collaborate with Dr. Zhu and Dr. O'Connor.
- Evaluation of Photoacoustic Transduction Efficiency of Candle Soot Nanocomposite Transmitters
- Chang, Wei-Yi and Zhang, Xu A. and Kim, Jinwook and Huang, Wenbin and Bagal, Abhijeet and Chang, Chih-Hao and Fang, Tiegang and Wu, Hanchang Felix and Jiang, Xiaoning (2018), IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON NANOTECHNOLOGY, 17(5), 985-993.
- Patterned nano-domains in PMN-PT single crystals
- Chang, W. Y. and Chung, C. C. and Yuan, Z. Y. and Chang, C. H. and Tian, J. and Viehland, D. and Li, J. F. and Jones, J. L. and Jiang, X. N. (2018), Acta Materialia, 143(), 166-173.
- Twin photonic nanojets generated from coherent illumination of microscale sphere and cylinder
- Poteet, A. and Zhang, X. A. and Nagai, H. and Chang, C. H. (2018), Nanotechnology, 29(7), .
- Enhanced total internal reflection using low-index nanolattice materials
- Zhang, X. A. and Chen, Y. A. and Bagal, A. and Chang, C. H. (2017), Optics Letters, 42(20), 4123-4126.
- Large-area nanolattice film with enhanced modulus, hardness, and energy dissipation
- Bagal, A. and Zhang, X. A. and Shahrin, R. and Dandley, E. C. and Zhao, J. J. and Poblete, F. R. and Oldham, C. J. and Zhu, Y. and Parsons, G. N. and Bobko, C. and Chang, C. H. (2017), Scientific Reports, 7(), .
- Nanostructured antireflective in-plane solar harvester
- Tippens, J. and Bagal, A. and Zhang, X. A. and Chang, C. H. (2017), Optics Express, 25(16), A840-850.
- Designing unit cell in three-dimensional periodic nanostructures using colloidal lithography
- Min, J. H. and Zhang, X. A. and Chang, C. H. (2016), Optics Express, 24(2), A276-284.
- Fabrication and design of metal nano-accordion structures using atomic layer deposition and interference lithography
- Min, J. H. and Bagal, A. and Mundy, J. Z. and Oldham, C. J. and Wu, B. I. and Parsons, G. N. and Chang, C. H. (2016), Nanoscale, 8(9), 4984-4990.
- Fabrication and structural properties of AlN submicron periodic lateral polar structures and waveguides for UV-C applications
- Alden, D. and Guo, W. and Kirste, R. and Kaess, F. and Bryan, I. and Troha, T. and Bagal, A. and Reddy, P. and Hernandez-Balderrama, L. H. and Franke, A. and Mita, S. and Chang, C. H. and Hoffmann, A. and Zgonik, M. and Collazo, R. and Sitar, Z. (2016), Applied Physics Letters, 108(26), .
- Wicking enhancement in three-dimensional hierarchical nanostructures
- Wang, Z. T. and Zhao, J. J. and Bagal, A. and Dandley, E. C. and Oldham, C. J. and Fang, T. G. and Parsons, G. N. and Chang, C. H. (2016), Langmuir, 32(32), 8029-8033.
- Fabrication of three-dimensional hierarchical nanostructures using template-directed colloidal assembly
- Elek, J. E. and Zhang, X. A. and Dai, B. and Xu, Z. and Chang, C. H. (2015), Nanoscale, 7(10), 4406-4410.
- Multifunctional nano-accordion structures for stretchable transparent conductors
- Bagal, A. and Dandley, E. C. and Zhao, J. J. and Zhang, X. A. and Oldham, C. J. and Parsons, G. N. and Chang, C. H. (2015), Materials Horizons, 2(5), 486-494.
- Ordered 3d thin-shell nanolattice materials with near-unity refractive indices
- Zhang, X. A. and Bagal, A. and Dandley, E. C. and Zhao, J. J. and Oldham, C. J. and Wu, B. I. and Parsons, G. N. and Chang, C. H. (2015), Advanced Functional Materials, 25(42), 6644-6649.
- Sculpting asymmetric, hollow-core, three-dimensional nanostructures using colloidal particles
- Zhang, X. A. and Dai, B. and Xu, Z. Y. and Chang, C. H. (2015), Small (Weinheim An Der Bergstrasse, Germany), 11(11), 1285-1292.
- Antireflection effects at nanostructured material interfaces and the suppression of thin-film interference
- Yang, Q. Y. and Zhang, X. A. and Bagal, A. and Guo, W. and Chang, C. H. (2013), Nanotechnology, 24(23), .
- Fabrication of subwavelength periodic nanostructures using liquid immersion Lloyd's mirror interference lithography
- Bagal, A. and Chang, C. H. (2013), Optics Letters, 38(14), 2531-2534.
- Study on dielectric and piezoelectric properties of 0.7 Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)O-3-0.3 PbTiO3 single crystal with nano-patterned composite electrode
- Chang, W. Y. and Huang, W. B. and Bagal, A. and Chang, C. H. and Tian, J. and Han, P. D. and Jiang, X. N. (2013), Journal of Applied Physics, 114(11), .
- Three-dimensional nanolithography using light scattering from colloidal particles
- Zhang, X. A. and Elek, J. and Chang, C. H. (2013), ACS Nano, 7(7), 6212-6218.
- Nanotextured silica surfaces with robust superhydrophobicity and omnidirectional broadband supertransmissivity
- Park, K. C. and Choi, H. J. and Chang, C. H. and Cohen, R. E. and McKinley, G. H. and Barbastathis, G. (2012), ACS Nano, 6(5), 3789-3799.
- Large-scale fabrication of multifunctional crystalline cellular materials
- NCSU NC Space Grant Consortium(9/01/18 - 4/01/19)
- Plasma Processing of Sapphire Nanostructures for Low-Loss Multilayer Composites
- US Army - Army Research Office(10/09/17 - 7/08/18)
- Hexagonal boron nitride nanosheets for advanced nanoscale electronics and radiation shielding
- University Global Partnership Network (UGPN)(8/01/16 - 7/31/17)
- Enhancing Optical Transmission of Multilayer Composites with Interfacial Nanostructures
- US Army - Army Research Office(5/20/16 - 2/19/17)
- CAREER: Three-Dimensional Nanolithography with Inexpensive Hardware
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(6/01/16 - 5/31/21)
- Surface and Domain Nano-Engineering of Relaxor Single Crystal for Acoustic Sensors
- US Dept. of Defense (DOD)(6/01/15 - 8/31/18)
- Tunable Nanostructures with Dynamic Optical Properties
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)(4/06/15 - 4/05/18)
- Electromagnetic (EM) Properties of Ultra-Low Density 3D Shell-Like Materials
- Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL)(9/09/14 - 9/08/15)
- Probing the Nanomechanics of Engineered Three-Dimensional Nanostructures
- NCSU Faculty Research & Professional Development Fund(7/01/14 - 6/30/15)
- Integrating Three-Dimensional Nanoporous Medium in Microfluidic Devices for Synthetic Biological Systems
- Oak Ridge Associated Universities(6/01/13 - 5/31/14)