- Engineering Building III (EB3) 3256
- Visit My Website
Dr. Gopalarathnam directs the NCSU Applied Aerodynamics Group. Dr. Gopalarathnam (referred to by his students as Dr. G) is committed to the development of innovative and useful ideas, concepts, and methodologies for the design of aircraft, other types of vehicles, and for alternative-energy systems. He is interested in applied aerodynamics, flight mechanics, aircraft design, adaptive aircraft, and design methodologies.
At the graduate level, Dr. G teaches Airfoil Theory (MAE 551) and Wing Theory (MAE 561). In these courses, the students look beyond theoretical methods in aerodynamics and address practical requirements in the design of airfoils and wings. At the undergraduate level, Dr. G teaches Aerodynamics of V/STOL vehicles (MAE 452) and Flight Vehicle Stability and Control (MAE 462). In MAE 462, his students do team projects in which they design/build/fly micro-gliders.
The graduate students who work with Dr. G are motivated and have an interest in flight and aerodynamics. During their studies, they are exposed to a mixture of theoretical, experimental, and computational methods applied to the design of a wide range of aero-hydrodynamic systems. His students work on sail boats, race cars, aircraft, and wind turbines, to name a few.
Outside of work, Dr. G spends time with his family and enjoys recreational flying when time permits.
Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
Dr. Gopalarathnam is presently 1) developing adaptive aerodynamics for morphing aircraft, 2) developing aerodynamic prediction techniques for flight dynamics simulations, and 3) studying unsteady and post-stall aerodynamics of aircraft, helicopters, micro-aerial vehicles, and flight in nature. In MAE, Dr. G works with Dr. Edwards, Dr. Wu, and Dr. Peters.
- Low-Order Model for Prediction of Trailing-Edge Separation in Unsteady Flow
- Narsipur, S., Gopalarathnam, A., & Edwards, J. R. (2019), AIAA JOURNAL, 57(1), 191–207. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J057132
- Design and demonstration of a seabird-inspired fixed-wing hybrid UAV-UUV system
- Stewart, W., Weisler, W., MacLeod, M., Powers, T., Defreitas, A., Gritter, R., … Bryant, M. (2018), BIOINSPIRATION & BIOMIMETICS, 13(5). https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-3190/aad48b
- Leading-Edge Flow Sensing for Aerodynamic Parameter Estimation
- Saini, A., & Gopalarathnam, A. (2018), AIAA JOURNAL, 56(12), 4706–4718. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J057327
- Leading-edge flow criticality as a governing factor in leading-edge vortex initiation in unsteady airfoil flows
- Ramesh, K., Granlund, K., Ol, M. V., Gopalarathnam, A., & Edwards, J. R. (2018), Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics, 32(2), 109–136.
- Testing and Characterization of a Fixed Wing Cross-Domain Unmanned Vehicle Operating in Aerial and Underwater Environments
- Weisler, W., Stewart, W., Anderson, M. B., Peters, K. J., Gopalarathnam, A., & Bryant, M. (2018), IEEE JOURNAL OF OCEANIC ENGINEERING, 43(4), 969–982. https://doi.org/10.1109/JOE.2017.2742798
- Computational aerodynamic modeling tools for aircraft loss of control
- Frink, N. T., Murthy, P. C., Atkins, H. L., Viken, S. A., Petrilli, J. L., Gopalarathnam, A., & Paul, R. C. (2017), Journal of Guidance Control and Dynamics, 40(4), 789–803.
- Piezoelectric floating element shear stress sensor for the wind tunnel flow measurement
- Kim, T., Saini, A., Kim, J., Gopalarathnam, A., Zhu, Y., Palmieri, F. L., … Jiang, X. N. (2017), IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 64(9), 7304–7312. https://doi.org/10.1109/tie.2016.2630670
- A piezoelectric shear stress sensor
- Kim, T., Saini, A., Kim, J., Gopalarathnam, A., Zhu, Y., Palmieri, F. L., … Jiang, X. N. (2016), In Sensors and smart structures technologies for civil, mechanical, and aerospace systems 2016 (Vol. 9803).
- Development and testing of a passive variable-pitch propeller
- Heinzen, S. B., Hall, C. E., & Gopalarathnam, A. (2015), Journal of Aircraft, 52(3), 748–763.
- Limit-cycle oscillations in unsteady flows dominated by intermittent leading-edge vortex shedding
- Ramesh, K., Murua, J., & Gopalarathnam, A. (2015), Journal of Fluids and Structures, 55, 84–105.
- Development of a Fast Low-Order Aerodynamic Prediction Method for Aircraft Configurations in Post-Stall Flight
- National Aeronautics & Space Administration (NASA)(1/01/18 - 8/15/18)
- Further Aerodynamic Modeling of Aerial Refueling Tanker and Receiver Interactions
- US Navy(10/16/17 - 4/17/19)
- Aerodynamic and Aeroelastic Behavior of Wings in the Presence of Upstream Vortical and Viscous Disturbances
- US Air Force - Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR)(7/01/17 - 6/30/19)
- Aerodynamic Modeling of Aerial Refueling Tanker and Receiver Interactions
- US Navy(6/02/16 - 8/28/17)
- CFD and Experimental Studies to Aid Development of Low-Order Aerodynamic Prediction Methods for Post-Stall Flight
- National Aeronautics & Space Administration (NASA)(1/01/16 - 9/15/17)
- Angelfish: Initial Planning and Project Management
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)(6/19/14 - 1/31/16)
- Evaluation of Flexible Micropost Arrays for Shear Stress Measurement
- National Aeronautics & Space Administration (NASA)(7/10/14 - 7/09/16)
- Aerodynamic Sensing using Miniature Transducers
- General Electric Co.(3/01/13 - 12/31/13)
- Harnessing Fluid-Structure Interaction in Wind Power and Sustainable Air Transport
- University Global Partnership Network (UGPN)(3/01/13 - 2/28/14)
- Theoretical and Computational Modeling of Two-Dimensional and Three-Dimensional Dynamic Stall for Rotorcraft Applications
- US Army - Army Research Office(3/15/13 - 12/31/16)