It is highly recommended that the request begin a minimum of 90 days prior to the visitors start date as it might take some time for the visa to be approved and delivered to the visitor. Giving more notice guarantees that the visa will be processed in time for the preferred visit. All exchange visitor requests are now being processed through the MAE Exchange Visitor Google form (see below).
Exchange Visitors at NC State are non-degree seeking exchange visitors such as visiting professors, research scholars, short term scholars and student interns. These Scholars and Student Interns take part of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program, a Federal program administered by the U.S. Department of State which implements the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act of 1961. This Act promotes mutual understanding between the peoples of the United States and other countries by means of educational and cultural exchange. The Exchange Visitor Program provides eligible foreign nationals with opportunities to participate in exchange programs in the United States and then return home to share their experiences.
In order to move forward with your request to host an Exchange Visitor, the following information is needed for the visitor. All forms and documentation will need to be completed prior to submitting the google form below. Please be aware it is now required that the faculty sponsor complete the “Visiting Scholar Questionnaire”, “Visiting Scientist Agreement” and NC State Safety Orientation Checklist Course for all visitors, details below. The questionnaire and the associated Visiting Scientist agreement will take some time to process, so please start this process immediately. Once all the completed forms are uploaded into the new “MAE Exchange Visitor Request” google form, we will review, obtain the Department Head and Dean’s signature then forward to OIS. Please note this process will take at least several days.
**Please note important changes**
- New DS-2019 Request Form Part B available on our website 10/1/2018 – any requests received on or after 1/1/2019 must use the new form https://internationalservices.ncsu.edu/files/2019/02/NewJ-1-Request-Part-B-2-14-2019.pdf.
- Updated minimum funding requirements – Requests received on or after 1/1/2019 OR which have a requested start date of 6/1/2019 or later (including extensions and amendments) will be subject to the new minimum funding requirements as follows:
- $2000/month for the J-1
- $900/month for the first J-2 dependent
- $500/month for each additional dependent.
- English language proficiency (effective immediately) – The English proficiency section of the DS-2019 request form part B is now only required for initial requests; it is no longer required for amendments/extensions
- New required support document (effective immediately) – All initial DS-2019 requests must now include a copy of the clearance email from export control. To obtain the clearance email from export control, the hosting department (recommended to be the hosting faculty member) must first complete export control’s visiting scholar questionnaire. Export control will conduct a review and send an email within 48 hours to confirm approval or request additional information. Include copy of this email in the DS-2019 Request Form submitted to OIS. A Visiting Scientist Agreement will also need to be completed and forwarded for review and signature from the Associate Vice Chancellor for Research Administration.
** REQUIRED FORMS/DOCUMENTATION FOR PROCESSING REQUEST **
Faculty invitation letter – dated within last 6 months
Picture of passport bio page
Proof of financial support
CV in English
Copy of diploma or transcript in English
SAFETY TRAINING— Per university requirements, all employees and volunteers (incuding J-1 visiting scholars) must complete the NC State Safety Orientation Checklist Course via Reporter (Visiting scholars will be able to create a guest account to access Reporter) and review the checklist with their supervisor prior to beginning activities on campus. The J-1 visiting scholar’s supervisor is responsible for ensuring the safety training is completed in a timely fashion and should refer to the Supervisor’s Guide when reviewing the checklist with the J-1 visiting scholar.
READY TO SUBMIT THE REQUEST?