RTI International has openings for internships for mechanical or chemical engineering students to perform R&D activities on an array of energy and environmental technology projects. Projects range in scale from bench to pilot and are performed in a variety of testing environments. The intern must be knowledgeable in problem solving techniques, equipment selection, and control systems.
Day-to-day duties will involve hands-on responsibility to: carry out experimental measurements; run various laboratory tests; collect, analyze and summarize technical data from these measurements and tests; maintain accurate records; and provide laboratory support for various R&D projects. The intern will also support the team to conceptualize, design, plan and implement innovative technologies that enable new and competitive processes. The work provides exposure to the latest technologies and will be conducted with teams comprised of experienced scientists and engineers.
- Collect, analyze, and summarize technical data and background information.
- Contribute to the design of test systems at the bench and pilot scale; including specifying equipment, sizing lines, developing P&IDs, developing drawings, and working with vendors
- Operation of small and medium size process equipment in the lab and bench-scale.
- Assist in the design/development of computer spreadsheets and databases to process and analyze data and summarize/present information.
- Demonstrate increasing proficiency with written and verbal communication skills.
- Contribute to and/or prepare portions of technical memoranda, reports and presentations.
- Work individually or as part of a project team.
- Review and proof one’s own work for accuracy and completeness.
- Maintain files and laboratory notes to document work performed, including calculations, spreadsheets, memoranda, references, reviewer comments, etc.
- Take joint responsibility for safety of personnel through review of equipment and protocols for safety hazards with the team.
Minimum Required Education & Experience:
- In pursuit of a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering or related field
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in laboratory work is a plus
- Demonstrated ability in the design and fabrication of equipment or systems is a plus
- Demonstrated CAD/SolidWorks capabilities are a plus
- Demonstrated ability to convert P&ID’s to 3-D system drawings as well as develop drawings of vessels for fabrication is a plus
- Demonstrated working with equipment vendors is a plus
- Commitment to working safely at all times
- Flexibility to work in an R&D facility
- Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and should not require now, or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status
If interested, please send your resume to email@example.com